[4]

South Bend reversing gear stuck

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
I am restoring a South Bend 9 and work has stopped due to a stuck reversing gear. It loks like no maintenance was done since the machine was made in 1947. Everything but the final gear on the shaft has disassembled but that gear needs to be pressed off. A mechanic friend tried with his 20 ton press - dyidn't budge. I took it to a local machine shop and they stopped trying when the pressure was nearing a breaking point.
I have to get this apart. It drives the entire gearbox and screw. I can't afford for it to fail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 

Comments

What part is stuck? The gear to the axle, or the axle to the shifter bracket....or both?
I would drill out the axle to disconnect the parts either way. You will have to recondition the i.d of the gear any way you look at it, and make a new axle.
 
See... $65. Zero reason to mess with the original part if it's that far gone. Practically any part you want for the SB9a is available on ebay.
 
Heat the assembly up with a propane torch. Whenever I have something stuck like you described that’s my next step. I heat it to the point where I can hear the grease pop and smoke. It’s usually all it takes.
There’s another reason to heat and that’s to melt any loctite which previous owner may have used. Heat is recommended procedure to loosen items which had loctite on them. I think the paperwork says to heat to around 250 degrees.
 
Heat the assembly up with a propane torch. Whenever I have something stuck like you described that’s my next step. I heat it to the point where I can hear the grease pop and smoke. It’s usually all it takes.
There’s another reason to heat and that’s to melt any loctite which previous owner may have used. Heat is recommended procedure to loosen items which had loctite on them. I think the paperwork says to heat to around 250 degrees.
The heat did it. Thank you Tim.
 
Thank you everyone. It is finally apart. Heat did the magic. When I got it apart I found that the original part was turned with a dull tool and some of the metal piled up. This caused a serious bind when I tried to get it apart.
 
The heat did it. Thank you Tim.
That’s what I always do now whenever something is stuck. I’m inclined to think it’s because of thread-locker since I seldom need to heat it with acetylene. Most thread-locking data states to heat around 250 degrees in order to remove nut/bolts.
That said, the heat also does wonders for built up gunk... dried grease, etc.
Anyway, glad to see you got it loose.
 
[6]
[5] [7]
Top