South Bend reversing gear stuck

I am restoring a South Bend 9 and work has stopped due to a stuck reversing gear. It loks like no maintenance was done since the machine was made in 1947. Everything but the final gear on the shaft has disassembled but that gear needs to be pressed off. A mechanic friend tried with his 20 ton press - dyidn't budge. I took it to a local machine shop and they stopped trying when the pressure was nearing a breaking point.
I have to get this apart. It drives the entire gearbox and screw. I can't afford for it to fail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

What part is stuck? The gear to the axle, or the axle to the shifter bracket....or both?
I would drill out the axle to disconnect the parts either way. You will have to recondition the i.d of the gear any way you look at it, and make a new axle.

See... $65. Zero reason to mess with the original part if it's that far gone. Practically any part you want for the SB9a is available on ebay.

Heat the assembly up with a propane torch. Whenever I have something stuck like you described that’s my next step. I heat it to the point where I can hear the grease pop and smoke. It’s usually all it takes.
There’s another reason to heat and that’s to melt any loctite which previous owner may have used. Heat is recommended procedure to loosen items which had loctite on them. I think the paperwork says to heat to around 250 degrees.

Heat the assembly up with a propane torch. Whenever I have something stuck like you described that’s my next step. I heat it to the point where I can hear the grease pop and smoke. It’s usually all it takes.
There’s another reason to heat and that’s to melt any loctite which previous owner may have used. Heat is recommended procedure to loosen items which had loctite on them. I think the paperwork says to heat to around 250 degrees.
The heat did it. Thank you Tim.

Thank you everyone. It is finally apart. Heat did the magic. When I got it apart I found that the original part was turned with a dull tool and some of the metal piled up. This caused a serious bind when I tried to get it apart.

The heat did it. Thank you Tim.
That’s what I always do now whenever something is stuck. I’m inclined to think it’s because of thread-locker since I seldom need to heat it with acetylene. Most thread-locking data states to heat around 250 degrees in order to remove nut/bolts.
That said, the heat also does wonders for built up gunk... dried grease, etc.
Anyway, glad to see you got it loose.

I am restoring a South Bend 9 and work has stopped due to a stuck reversing gear. It loks like no maintenance was done since the machine was made in 1947. Everything but the final gear on the shaft has disassembled but that gear needs to be pressed off. A mechanic friend tried with his 20 ton press - dyidn't budge. I took it to a local machine shop and they stopped trying when the pressure was nearing a breaking point.
I have to get this apart. It drives the entire gearbox and screw. I can't afford for it to fail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, The Southbend has to one of the best hobby machines. I really like the look of them. I haven't fine the right one yet. I mean I haven't found a (Cheep one) I think the heavy 10 is the way I would like to go. You have a beautiful machine. What a great job you did it differently has that look it's awsome. Happy machining.

Hello, The Southbend has to one of the best hobby machines. I really like the look of them. I haven't fine the right one yet. I mean I haven't found a (Cheep one) I think the heavy 10 is the way I would like to go. You have a beautiful machine. What a great job you did it differently has that look it's awsome. Happy machining.
Heavy 10 is much stouter if you have the space. Part of the beauty of SB 9 is how easy it is to move. It’s a light duty machine and no way as ridged as the Heavy 10, but it disassembles in a snap for moving. I’ve moved a few SB 9’s all by myself by taking them apart and splitting the lathe into smaller pieces. That’s a plus in my opinion. Hell,,,I can take a 9 apart in less than an hour. They are also the perfect first lathe due to their belt design. Just makes them a little less daunting if one were to be careless, belt slips before they twist ones arm around a rotating Chunk of metal. But, in most cases we all want a bigger and stouter machine like the Heavy ten once we graduate from the 9.
I found a Clausing 5900 series and I love it. It’s way more machine than the SB 9. But ain’t no way a easy move.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock