South Bend reversing gear stuck

Thank you everyone. It is finally apart. Heat did the magic. When I got it apart I found that the original part was turned with a dull tool and some of the metal piled up. This caused a serious bind when I tried to get it apart.

The heat did it. Thank you Tim.
That’s what I always do now whenever something is stuck. I’m inclined to think it’s because of thread-locker since I seldom need to heat it with acetylene. Most thread-locking data states to heat around 250 degrees in order to remove nut/bolts.
That said, the heat also does wonders for built up gunk... dried grease, etc.
Anyway, glad to see you got it loose.

Stunning!

Can you post more pics? ......Pretty Please!

-brino

I am restoring a South Bend 9 and work has stopped due to a stuck reversing gear. It loks like no maintenance was done since the machine was made in 1947. Everything but the final gear on the shaft has disassembled but that gear needs to be pressed off. A mechanic friend tried with his 20 ton press - dyidn't budge. I took it to a local machine shop and they stopped trying when the pressure was nearing a breaking point.
I have to get this apart. It drives the entire gearbox and screw. I can't afford for it to fail. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

check for dowel pins SB love to dowel and set screw things together

Well done, great looking machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, The Southbend has to one of the best hobby machines. I really like the look of them. I haven't fine the right one yet. I mean I haven't found a (Cheep one) I think the heavy 10 is the way I would like to go. You have a beautiful machine. What a great job you did it differently has that look it's awsome. Happy machining.

Back