South Bend Serial Numbers

catskinner

Registered
Registered
I have a 10" South Bend and am trying to identify it positively. Here is a pic I took of where the serial number is supposed to be. I think it says U B H?O 2serial number.jpg

I got more of the bed cleaned up and found this on the other rail of the bed. I puzzles me the letters have periods after them like some ones initials.sn 3.jpg

If you haven't already, Google "South Bend Lathe Identification" then look for a website with WS Wells in it, that will bring up a page with a lot of info on the serial numbers. Perhaps the W.E.F. was added by a previous owner?

If you haven't already, Google "South Bend Lathe Identification" then look for a website with WS Wells in it, that will bring up a page with a lot of info on the serial numbers. Perhaps the W.E.F. was added by a previous owner?

OK I'll do that, thanks for the info. I think the lathe was owned by the government until purchased by the guy I got it from. It was originally purchased by the PA Signal Corp and my buddy got it from either the USFS or the BLM in central ID.

Back