South Bend shaper has made its way to my shop!

Crank

Registered
Registered
A week ago there was an automotive swap meet by my house and I met a gent with a bunch of machine equipment. After inquiring about a shaper or a horizontal mill, he said he had a South Bend shaper he would let go. I finally got to see it on Saturday, but we were having intermittent rain so it didn't come home until today. I was amazed how little use this thing has. He bought it about 12 years ago and never ran it. It's strange to buy something so nice and it doesn't need work to fix it up. Here is a first walk around while I had it running.

Enjoy!

Mark

One day I'd like to get one of those - just to be able to watch it run. Nice score.

Rick

benmychree,
That makes perfect sense, but I'm puzzled how the wires got switched? The electrical plug looks to be original. I'll switch it around when I get a chance.
Thanks

Mark

That's a great looking machine, I can't believe some survive for so long with such little use.
Good catch on the reverse stroking -- was going to mention it but Mr York got there first! ;)

-frank

to reverse the action, you don't need to reverse the motor.
there is a rod that is responsible for advancing the pawl that ratchets the Box forward and reverse.
where the rod is driven from, there is a slot that the rod end runs in.
when loosened the rod can be repositioned in the slot.
note the position relative to the end of the slot where it is now and move the rod to the other end of the slot.
and readjust the linkage, leaving it slightly loose in case of minor mistake, it will collapse if you get the timing off and prevent damage
on the Delta/Rockwell shapers there is a slot in a bronze drive collar that is responsible for ratchet timing.

don't feel bad, mine was reversed too- somebody else told me that it was backward or i wouldn't have known either

Last edited:
Mike,
I was prepared to see some old machine that was showing its age, but when he pulled the cover off, my jaw hit the floor. Any thoughts about haggling over the price were immediately dismissed. I'm a firm believer that if a fair price is put on something, I won't be a cheapskate. The seller has quite a collection of old iron and early gas engines and I think we will wind up cultivating a continuing friendship. That is well worth the price of admission!

Mark

Back