[How do I?] Southbend 10L Motor Voltage Change

Ray Broullire

Registered
Registered
We have a 1942 Southbend 10 L. It has a Dayton (capacity start) motor currently wired for 110v. The nameplate illustrates how to rewire for 220v. The question is after changing the internal wiring on the motor itself, is there anything else that needs to be done?

Actually no. It should work OK. Having available 220V between the phases in the supply, offered at the motor with the windings arranged to correctly use it, will halve the current, and quarter the losses. There are folk here who know how to connect anything.

If you are nervous, post a picture of the nameplate illustration showing the connections options.

Is there a reversing switch on this lathe? That might require a slight change to the wiring
-Mark

Graham/Mark,
The wiring changes from 110 to 220 are all internal on the motor. The leads to the motor stay on the same terminals in either case. Obviously after switching to 220 both leads will be hot. In the 110 configuration the hot side goes to the reversing switch and the neutral goes directly to the motor.
Thanks to both of you for the quick response.
Ray

You might find the motor rotation opposite from the reversing switch handle, after configuring the motor to the higher voltage.
It's easy to fix if it happens
-Mark

Change the plug is the only other thing that you should need to do.

@Ray Broullire

Welcome to the group!

You have already seen how helpful people are here.

-brino

I have been on a few of these sites and this has absolutely been by the the best experience I've ever had.
Thanks again to all!!

Back