Southbend 5C nose collet

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
Has anyone one seen anything like this before? It's a 5C collet holder with Southbend
1 1/2 x 8 threaded. I bought my sixth southbend #9 bench lathe and it came with tooling.
But I have never seen one of these. It screws right on the spindle of my lathes.

DSC00003.JPGDSC00004.JPG

Last edited:
Your right... It was a late night last night... Bridgeport should have never been there...
I fixed the error...

Your right... It was a late night last night... Bridgeport should have never been there...
I fixed the error...

Now you should go back in and change "coller" to "collet" or "closer".

Must be some kinda special draw bar........5C draw bars are usually about 1- 3/8" in dia. Just wondering how you get that through a spindle that's less than an inch in dia?

Must be some kinda special draw bar........5C draw bars are usually about 1- 3/8" in dia. Just wondering how you get that through a spindle that's less than an inch in dia?

I imagine that the draw bar uses the internal threading of the collet, then a much smaller DB to the end.

Would it be closed on the material by driving the collet using a spanner which fits the slits in the face of the collet ? Which means the body would have internal threads to fit the outer threads on the collet. It appears to be shop made for special use and I don’t see a clean taper internally at the face !

Last edited:
The internal threads of the collet are still over an inch.....the draw bar would have to be inserted first, then the collet. The draw bar would need a nut on the outboard end.

Back