Southbend 5C nose collet

I bought this collet stop off e-bay. I did some modifications to it and it works fine.

Image18.jpgDSC00053.JPGDSC000c56.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    316.7 KB · Views: 9
Your probably right but at that price for hardened steel I'm not wasting my time.

Your probably right but at that price for hardened steel I'm not wasting my time.

Are you sure that it is hardened? There is no need for hardened steel here. And $15 is a pretty good price, but I agree with MrWhoopie, it was something that you could easily make. I made 4 for my collets to practice single point threading. It turns out that you only need one (or two) of the piece that screws into the collet, but you need a whole range of the threaded stop sizes.

What is the runout that far out from the spindle?

The metal rings when struck with a screwdriver.
I'm getting around .005/.006 but I'm thinking most of thats coming from my spindle.

Attachments

• 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    335.4 KB · Views: 7
That's a great price, but isn't this something you should make?
What is the runout that far out from the spindle?
I'm getting around .005/.006 but I'm thinking most of thats coming from my spindle.

If you made one yourself on the lathe that it will be used on and clock it, the runout should be a lot less. But, if 5 or 6 thou works for you, then it’’s a moot point. Some of the runout might also be coming from that collet. I wonder which war(s) it survived? ;)

Tom

Back