Southbend 9A switch help needed.

cederholm

Active User
Registered
Hi guys, I'm in the final stages of restoring a 1945 Southbend 9A and my switch is missing the spring that hold the lever center when not in use. Can someone provide a few photos of what that spring looks like and how it attaches so I can make a new one?
IMG_9677.jpg IMG_9676.jpg

Here are a few before and after pics - hope the purists don't freak on the color.

IMG_9152.jpgIMG_9680.jpgIMG_9357.jpg

Thanks for the help,
Carl

Hi Carl,
do you know the manufacturer of the switch?
I have a drum switch that is similar, i'll take some pictures after dinner and post them

Hi Carl,
do you know the manufacturer of the switch?
I have a drum switch that is similar, i'll take some pictures after dinner and post them

Hi, it’s a Lindell. Thanks for the help!

- Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a two piece affair like this: detent arm and spring
Those contacts look pretty bad though, any plans to refurbish them? Might want to solder some strips of copper in the eroded areas
springsw1a.jpeg
Mark

You need a volt meter.....

I have a volt meter - how does that help a missing spring?

The switch works fine, but the lever doesn’t snap in the off position when not in use.

Looks like a two piece affair like this: detent arm and spring
Those contacts look pretty bad though, any plans to refurbish them? Might want to solder some strips of copper in the eroded areas
View attachment 260016
Mark

Thanks Mark, very helpful. And yeah, those contacts are pretty rough - your suggestion sounds like a good one.

- Carl

Hi Carl, I would guess that motor is currently wired for 115 volts? If the motor can run 230 volt I'd highly recommend it- runs cooler, more efficient, and the switch contacts last much longer (half the current)
Mark

Hi Carl
sorry for the delay
my drum switch is a cutler hammer-
IMG_2634.jpg IMG_2641.jpg
i don't know if the images will help, but here they are

Back