Southbend 9A switch help needed.

Okay, now that I'm home and can see these pics I get what you guys are saying - very very helpful! Looks like I need to build a cam follower.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Thanks all,
Carl

The green circles indicate where a spring could be mounted to keep the handle in neutral. The blue circle points out a cam position / detent that would also aid in a positive neutral resting place - if only a cam follower were present. I take it this is a reversing switch?
It looks like you're missing some parts of the detent mechanism in addition to the spring. Here are some photos I found, very similar to those I've seen before. Hope these help:

The detent bracket with roller:
View attachment 260065

The detent spring:
View attachment 260066

This switch might not be the same exact model as yours, but should give you an idea of how they commonly work.

That motor only has a 115 v rating. But do you see a wiring diagram on the end plate under a cover or the box?
if may show that it can be wired for 220.
My 9A is wired for 115 and is fine. 220 is cooler running and less amps, but if it can't be don't sweat it.

Here's a picture which will suggest a way to refurbish your contacts. It worked for me.
Uh-oh, attachment is not working.

Looks like your motor is 115v only Carl.
I've seen other South Bend lathes with 115 volt only GE motors, original equipment for sure
Mark

Here's a picture which will suggest a way to refurbish your contacts. It worked for me.
Uh-oh, attachment is not working.

Hi Eric, if you’re still having trouble posting your pic would you mind emailing it to me? Very interested. Please send it to carl (at) cederholminc (dot) com

Please disregard if you did manage to post and I’m not seeing it on my phone. :)

Thanks,
Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That motor only has a 115 v rating. But do you see a wiring diagram on the end plate under a cover or the box?
if may show that it can be wired for 220.
My 9A is wired for 115 and is fine. 220 is cooler running and less amps, but if it can't be don't sweat it.

I’ll look, thanks for the advice!

Thanks,
Carl

Looks like your motor is 115v only Carl.
I've seen other South Bend lathes with 115 volt only GE motors, original equipment for sure
Mark

I love that it’s original and the build quality is fantastic. It weighs a ton, but oh well.

Speaking of original, did Southbend sell wooden benches with their lathes as on option? Under the horrible, sloppy green paint job (which was done by a drunk monkey on morphine) I found the original gray paint. Both the lathe and bench were painted with the same grey.

Hi. It seems that my browser was flaky. Here is the picture on the anvil of my vise. I hope it is self explanatory. That is a piece of junk copper tube which I found in the street on a walk. The pipe was sawed off, opened, and slipped over the burnt contact. It then was soldered with nice strong silver bearing solder. I think I used acid flux, so it might eventually corrode and lose contact :) . But, then, I use my lathe too much, so it will probably just self clean and keep working.

drums.jpg

Hi. It seems that my browser was flaky. Here is the picture on the anvil of my vise. I hope it is self explanatory. That is a piece of junk copper tube which I found in the street on a walk. The pipe was sawed off, opened, and slipped over the burnt contact. It then was soldered with nice strong silver bearing solder. I think I used acid flux, so it might eventually corrode and lose contact :) . But, then, I use my lathe too much, so it will probably just self clean and keep working.

Silver bearing solder?? Sounds like black magic, tell me more.

Back