Southbend 9A

Scruffer

Registered
Registered
Hi Everybody,
Definitely a newbie here. I am just getting started with machine work and getting the Southbend lathe mania. I recently looked at some pictures of a cleaned and painted 9A. It was supposed to have been taken apart and cleaned with new oil felts. As far as I can tell, it looks fine, except for the pic of the business end of the spindle.
The splines look like they are well worn. I realize there is going to be wear on gear teeth, but how much is too much. I am going to try to insert a image in case anyone wants to look at the pics. 00l0l_42VSE650fEs_1200x900.jpg Thanks

Something doesn't look right...

I'm looking at the pic on a cellphone, so I may be missing something... and I'm not familiar with the SB9... but...

It looks like there is 2 gears, the inner gear is worn out... the outer gear looks like it may be ok. The tumbler gears appear to be engaging the outer gear... what meshes with the inner gear?

-Bear

That's all one gear, but it's an integral part of the spindle. Looks like where it's meshing is fine. How far is to far gone.....when it no no longer meshes. If it's noisy, it's because there is also wear on the twin gears and the axles.

Looks like the dark areas on all gears and spindle are grease..

Black gear lube to quiet down the end train gears, which are frequently noisy, sometimes because folks mesh them too deeply, they may run quieter if adjusted for proper clearance, there should be .020" clearance between the top of one tooth and the bottom of the opposite tooth.
Personally, I would not use the stick black goo on an end train that has to be occasionally changed out for different thread ranges (the double gear at the bottom is changed front to back and the rest of the train needs to be adjusted for mesh; the resulting mess on your fingers is not so easy to remove, just use oil for lube.

Back