Southbend with rare accesories in GA

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
This shaper looks a bit weathered, but it is a Southbend, they tend to go pretty high. It also has the index centers and rotary table with it, so I expect it to go for a decent price. Even has a vise and toolholder. Not sure if it will bring the 1500, as it does look like hell, but a bit of TLC would go a long way on this machine. Too far for me, plus I've got shapers running out my ears already. Good luck.

That's high alright.

Considering what I've seen those index centers and rotary table go for, it's not that high. I would expect them to bring close to 500 each if you ebayed them by themselved. People go ga ga over southbends, and those items are as rare as hens teeth.

Useless unless you desire a small shaper with the vise, rotary table and dividing head, all in one fell swoop.
Perhaps seller will take a bit less?

Really?
Interesting. Are South Bend shapers really good quality compared to Atlas and others?

I saw it on E-bay last night. A lot of goodies to go with it, but as mentioned the shaper itself is a bit rough.

Really?
Interesting. Are South Bend shapers really good quality compared to Atlas and others?

I think the Southbend is a bit lighter than the Atlas/Craftsman, more along the lines of an Ammco/Delta. They do have (on later models) the pressure feed ram way oiling, which considering the number of shapers out there with scored ramways (I have two) is of some value. I think the Southbends were marketed towards vocational schools, back when they tought people to use shapers. The machine itself looks rough, but it's also complete, so basicaly it needs cleaning and painting. I have an Atlas shaper, and it's a pretty good machine, if you keep the cuts reasonable on it. I would expect the Southbends to be the same. Also, you just don't see the Southbends as often as the Atlas/Craftsman machines. Certainly not with all those accessories. Now lets wait to see if those items all go up on ebay seperately in the next few weeks. someone might have bought it just to resell. I think they might be able to make some money on the deal.

Back