Southbend with rare accesories in GA

I’m a little surprised at the price too. But as with anything, the seller only needed to find one person willing to pay it. I’m sure the buyer is happy with the purchase. They sure seem like fancy little things, for their time. I like my Ammco.

The shaper was a work horse back in its day. And now, not even mentioned or seen in the shops of today. Maybe a few hobby shops have them and like them! I needed a shaper job the other day but don’t have a shaper. I do have a Bridgeport mill though. I set-up the mill as in a shaper mode and did the job. It came out great! I still don’t need a shaper! My mill will work just fine!

Shapers are still used in developing countries mostly for repair work where the cost of labor doesn't justify relatively expensive end mills for jobs that a shaper can do. New ones are still available from India and China. The cost of labor is high enough in the developed world to negate the advantage of the cheaper tools used in a shaper. I use my shapers for roughing work, especially smoothing up torch cut plate, as I don't like to see my end mills chewed up.

I've used my AMMCO for surfacing and internal keyways.
Would love to have the dividing head/centers set but can't afford one.

I've been watching that one as well.
Will be interesting to see what is sells for.

Back