[4]

Spare 80t Gear for 9x20 Lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Artie

Swarf
Registered
Does anyone know what mod the 920 lathe feed gears are? I have an Enco and would like a spare plastic 80t gear. I know Grizzly has a cast replacement gear but I would much prefer the quieter plastic gear. I see Little Machine Shop has a plastic mod 1.5 80t gear intended for the mini lathe that may work if bored from 12mm to 14mm and if the 920 gears are indeed 1.5 mod.
There is virtually no online information on this subject so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Artie.

dgrev

Registered
Registered
Can someone please tell me what is the mod 1 and mod 1.5? It is meaningless to me.

Asm109

Registered
Registered
It is a number that relates to the size of the teeth. If you take the pitch diameter of the gear and divide by the number of teeth you get the module of the gear. The units are mm/tooth.
That is how the metric system describes tooth size.
The English system uses the reciprocal of this number. That is called the Diametral pitch or Dp for short. Units are Teeth/inch(of pitch diameter)

dgrev

Registered
Registered
Asm109. Thanks for the explanation. From what I can see, that still leaves shaft diameter, and thickness of gear to be stated?

dgrev

Registered
Registered
Radials - thanks for the link. He is only listing that one gear, pity, I need a 32T gear for a Taiwanese lathe.

marksbug

Swarf
Registered
I think there the same, possibly different bore, I have both enco 9x20 2 years old and a old(20 years) 7x14 speedway/homier the same as the rest of the generic 7x10,7x12,7x14, mini lathes. Im waiting for a gear at the little machine shop thats out of stock so i can build a reverse tumbler for my 9x20. if you need chucks bangood has great pricing on them. I gut a 5" 4jaw and 6" 3 jaw cheep!! as always tear them apart&deburr&rebuild , lube before using.anything!!!especialy new stuff!!! are your gears noisy?? mine were horrendous and would just about run me out of the shop...till I fixed them.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Oops, sorry, wasn't paying as close attention as I should.

Last edited:

marksbug

Swarf
Registered
correct, if set up correctly there quiet. I have no issues with the plastic gear, kinda like the power feed on my mill it has a plastic gear just incase... the runout on my extreamly noisey gears was about .014". I rebored the gear incerts(with built in key) concentric ,then bushed them back with phosper bronze valve guide liner.(.015" wall thickness) all is quiet on the home front now.

marksbug

Swarf
Registered
I have also heard of guys 3d printing new gears...wish i had a printer I wood be making all kinds of stuff!!!

savarin

Active User

marksbug

Swarf
Registered
yup as I read your post, I see you made new keyed bushings to fix the runnout issue,( witch is the gear noise issue on these lathes) I just bored them on center and bushed them. the one on the gear slector shaft was a booger,I didnt pull the gear pin going through the thin gear bushing as I didnt want to eff up somethingand have to waite for replacement ,or have to make one.(witch is always a possiability) so i put the shaft in my smaller lathe and broched off the high offset portion then bushed it . not hard to do.works great. as for making a gear...good work, but eye wood rather just order a pair of plastic ones....Im in no hurry, as I have lots of weeds to pull before mowing the grass. keep up the great work!!!

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Change gears used on the Mini-lathe are: module 1, 20° pressure angle, 8mm face width, and a 12mm bore with a 3mm wide by 1.4mm deep keyway.

Roy

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
9x20's use module 1 gears.
Why not make your own?
Heres how I did mine for the tumbler reverse.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tumbler-reverse.10122/#post-126013
I found the original idea on line somewhere but dont have access to my original bookmarks.
This gears is still in use today.
Savarin I know it's a bit off topic but there was mention of a possible auto cross feed project for the 9x20 in your thread and a search didn't come up with anything. Did you ever do one or run into a link for something like that?

savarin

Active User
Savarin I know it's a bit off topic but there was mention of a possible auto cross feed project for the 9x20 in your thread and a search didn't come up with anything. Did you ever do one or run into a link for something like that?
Bill Gruby was making one for his lathe and I believe he finished it.
I didnt have that project on the horizon although I do have to make a new lead screw and nut for the cross slide with bearings and extended travel but still too much going on to start this.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Radials - thanks for the link. He is only listing that one gear, pity, I need a 32T gear for a Taiwanese lathe.
@dgrev, check your "conversations" or "private messages".
-brino

[6]
[5] [7]