Spare 80t Gear for 9x20 Lathe

Artie

Registered
Registered
Does anyone know what mod the 920 lathe feed gears are? I have an Enco and would like a spare plastic 80t gear. I know Grizzly has a cast replacement gear but I would much prefer the quieter plastic gear. I see Little Machine Shop has a plastic mod 1.5 80t gear intended for the mini lathe that may work if bored from 12mm to 14mm and if the 920 gears are indeed 1.5 mod.
There is virtually no online information on this subject so any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Artie.

Can someone please tell me what is the mod 1 and mod 1.5? It is meaningless to me.

It is a number that relates to the size of the teeth. If you take the pitch diameter of the gear and divide by the number of teeth you get the module of the gear. The units are mm/tooth.
That is how the metric system describes tooth size.
The English system uses the reciprocal of this number. That is called the Diametral pitch or Dp for short. Units are Teeth/inch(of pitch diameter)

Asm109. Thanks for the explanation. From what I can see, that still leaves shaft diameter, and thickness of gear to be stated?

Radials - thanks for the link. He is only listing that one gear, pity, I need a 32T gear for a Taiwanese lathe.

I think there the same, possibly different bore, I have both enco 9x20 2 years old and a old(20 years) 7x14 speedway/homier the same as the rest of the generic 7x10,7x12,7x14, mini lathes. Im waiting for a gear at the little machine shop thats out of stock so i can build a reverse tumbler for my 9x20. if you need chucks bangood has great pricing on them. I gut a 5" 4jaw and 6" 3 jaw cheep!! as always tear them apart&deburr&rebuild , lube before using.anything!!!especialy new stuff!!! are your gears noisy?? mine were horrendous and would just about run me out of the shop...till I fixed them.

Oops, sorry, wasn't paying as close attention as I should.

Last edited:
correct, if set up correctly there quiet. I have no issues with the plastic gear, kinda like the power feed on my mill it has a plastic gear just incase... the runout on my extreamly noisey gears was about .014". I rebored the gear incerts(with built in key) concentric ,then bushed them back with phosper bronze valve guide liner.(.015" wall thickness) all is quiet on the home front now.

I have also heard of guys 3d printing new gears...wish i had a printer I wood be making all kinds of stuff!!!

Back