Spare 80t Gear for 9x20 Lathe

yup as I read your post, I see you made new keyed bushings to fix the runnout issue,( witch is the gear noise issue on these lathes) I just bored them on center and bushed them. the one on the gear slector shaft was a booger,I didnt pull the gear pin going through the thin gear bushing as I didnt want to eff up somethingand have to waite for replacement ,or have to make one.(witch is always a possiability) so i put the shaft in my smaller lathe and broched off the high offset portion then bushed it . not hard to do.works great. as for making a gear...good work, but eye wood rather just order a pair of plastic ones....Im in no hurry, as I have lots of weeds to pull before mowing the grass. keep up the great work!!!

Change gears used on the Mini-lathe are: module 1, 20° pressure angle, 8mm face width, and a 12mm bore with a 3mm wide by 1.4mm deep keyway.

Roy

9x20's use module 1 gears.
Why not make your own?
Heres how I did mine for the tumbler reverse.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tumbler-reverse.10122/#post-126013
I found the original idea on line somewhere but dont have access to my original bookmarks.
This gears is still in use today.

Savarin I know it's a bit off topic but there was mention of a possible auto cross feed project for the 9x20 in your thread and a search didn't come up with anything. Did you ever do one or run into a link for something like that?

Savarin I know it's a bit off topic but there was mention of a possible auto cross feed project for the 9x20 in your thread and a search didn't come up with anything. Did you ever do one or run into a link for something like that?
Bill Gruby was making one for his lathe and I believe he finished it.
I didnt have that project on the horizon although I do have to make a new lead screw and nut for the cross slide with bearings and extended travel but still too much going on to start this.

Radials - thanks for the link. He is only listing that one gear, pity, I need a 32T gear for a Taiwanese lathe.

@dgrev, check your "conversations" or "private messages".
-brino

Radials - thanks for the link. He is only listing that one gear, pity, I need a 32T gear for a Taiwanese lathe.

No specs on this aside from the tooth count posted byt erniepike on Thingiverse. I will fire one off on the printer and see what it comes out at.

Thing 1540817 on Thingiverse looks like it might be what you are looking for. **I tried to post a link to the download but it got blocked by the spam filter. *

Finished printing... 12.18mm Bore. 4mmx4mm keyway. 7mm thick at edge with a raised hub that is 9mm.

Look up earniepike on thingiverse to download

I have found a vendor on ebay USA who was selling a bunch of gears. I got his last 32T. Pure luck that it was correct for my lathe. I will be curious to know how the plastic printed gear will stand up to the drive train forces on your lathe? I read somewhere that 3D printers used
PVC plastic, which is not know for its strength and does break down with age and UV exposure (sunlight).

I got some gears from the little machine shop for my enco. yes there the same as the small mini lathes, execpt for some of the mini gears are thinner.the ones I got were the same as my enco lathe just in plastic. if you find somebody with a gear to scan plenty of people are 3d printing gears. or posibly online the 3d file can be found for gears. there is a few places on ebay that have the plastic and some are renforced with fiber for about $13. I ordered 2 gears when I got mine from the little shop ,just incase I needed a spar. they were on back order for a few months but I was in no hurry and there still sitting there waiting for me to build the reverse tumbler......... this is my 2nd lathe...first was a 7x14, then this 9x20....now....I wish I had 2 sizes bigger....go figer.

Back