Speaking of Calipers

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'm making some parts to metric specs right now. I reached over and grabbed my metric Mitutoyo dial caliper and the measurements just didn't make sense. I was trying to creep up on a dimension and things just didn't add up.

I had grabbed my Imperial caliper. Ok, you might say. You should see the problem right away. Um, NO!. It has both a metric and an Imperial scale on the bar. Tunnel vision had me looking at the metric scale and trying to make sense of the dial.

I didn't realize what was going on until I went to put them away and go double check my spec. "That's the wrong case. These don't go in that one."
NOT Metric Calipers.jpg

I hate it when that happens! Fortunately, I do not have any metric tools except a screw pitch gage.

that's why I love digital calipers :)
There a few things that I like about them, like being able to zero them at any point, Their English and metric capability; what I don't like is that they hunt around and do not display a definite size; mine is not a cheapie, it is Starrett, also If I do not slide the battery carrier back to disconnect, the next time I want to use it, it is dead.

I think still on my original CR2032 battery in my iGaging digital calipers, maybe my second, in 4 or 5 years. They're within a thou (or 0.01mm) when compared to my mics or gauge blocks, which is good enough for me. Each to their own, but I couldn't cope with dial calipers. Bought a nice Mit dial caliper years ago for $20, sold it a couple of months later for $20 :)

I love my dial calipers... except when I am working on parts speced in metric. LOL.

I did break down and buy a couple cheap digitals (6" and 12") just for this project so I wouldn't do THAT again. LOL.

I never had a dial caliper before that had both metric and imperial scales on the bar before. This one is a brand new one my wife bought me for my birthday in January.

Back