Speaking Of Reclaiming Wood !

Waterlooboy2hp

Registered
Registered
I brought many packing crates home in years past. Just about all were for metal bar stock and up to 16' long. (I spent 44 years as a Machinist). Used most of it for home alterations and barn repair. Always had short pieces left over, that most folks would throw away.

I made this up the other day, to hold 20 storage bins from Harbor freight. --- Sides, top and bottom are from crate lumber scraps. They are heal together with glue and wooden pegs. The back boards are 3/8" thick wood, that were once the sides of the crates, that were used to deliver produce to grocery stores, back in the 1950s and before.

I recessed the boards 1/4" into the outer frame, with a router. I used tiny brads and glue to fasten them. One board was bowed out some and fastening the plastic brackets did not pull it in. Figured I needed a brace of sorts, across the back. Had some pieces of Oak, that were one part of the keel, on a 42" drop centerboard sail boat. The boat was built in 1898. Pop bought it in 1949 as a project, but that's another story. Sliced off enough for the strap, and used glue and screws to fasten it.

Then I kind of went overkill, with the router and dressed things up a bit. I added a coat of dark Walnut stain, 2 coats of semi-gloss Polyurethane and some vintage Brass pulls for handles. The brackets to hang the bins, are fastened with short Stainless Steel screws, so as not to come through the backboards.

It was a project, that started out to just be some scrap wood, nailed together. I kind of went overboard a bit, considering it is meant to hold tooling and custom made parts, for Predator engines. --- John

03a2c446-e171-477e-92bc-c95653405319_zpsef0chjx5.jpg base20molding_zpsmqtphtzh.jpg

top20molding_zpsyhwhod60.jpg back_zpsqic6inyd.jpg

trays20full_zpsgaabpax7.jpg

Nice work.

My dad repurposed scrap wood into furniture, shelving and the like. Always used dark stain too.

Nice work. :beer mugs:Sounds like you are into go-karts or mini bikes. :penny:

Nice work. :beer mugs:Sounds like you are into go-karts or mini bikes. :penny:
=================================

No, not at all. The main reason for the parts, is to use some of the Predator engines for repowering vintage snow blowers. Having fixed size jets, the Predator engines do not run well at all in cold weather (below 40 degrees F.). The high speed jet needs to be larger. Installing the different size jets, that are available , is a pain and it is just guesswork as to which size is perfect. I make a jet that is larger than needed, with an adjustable high speed needle assembly. Takes all the guesswork out. At 72 years old, I am a bit beyond playing with go-karts and Mini-bikes. However, it should work for them also, as well as using Predator engine generators between high and low altitudes. ---- John

Nice work, what kind of wood do you think that was? Hardwood or soft? I am a big fan of pallet wood myself so i can relate. There are some pallets made with really nice hardwood out there.

Nice work, what kind of wood do you think that was? Hardwood or soft? I am a big fan of pallet wood myself so i can relate. There are some pallets made with really nice hardwood out there.
=============================

All the packing crates, that I got, were always made of different types of Pine. On a side note, the sheathing on the roof and the sides of my house and garage, was all made with 3/4" packing crate lumber in 1946. It all came from local factories. Some of the boards are 12" wide. --- John

There was a factory that I would frequent for the wood that they tossed.
They would get in huge shippments of tubing that were in crates made fron 1"x12" that were 16' long. They unscrewed the lids unloaded them and set them out for free.
Another company mereged with them and sent "new" managment to restructure. Now all that perfect lumber gets busted up and sent to the landfill.
:eek:

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Back