Speaking of rotary tables....

dbb-the-bruce

Dave
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Another "advice needed".
I'm in the market for one to use on my smallish Seig x2.7 variant mill. This one is nearby-ish and looks (to me) like a decent price. But I know nothing about rotary table brands etc.

- Is it too big for my mill?
- Is the price decent?

market place rotary table

Thanks for any advice.

Cut out an 8” circle, place on your mill table and see what you think. You want the biggest feasible table. Price seems high to me.

I don’t think the XY function is important, needed or desirable for mill use. You can save money looking longer.

Checked in with another friend. Yeah, because I'm going to mount it on my mill I really don't need the X/Y and the X/Y doubles the height and weigh of something is already too big for my mill just makes it not worth it.

Thanks for the quick response.
I'll keep looking for a 6" horizontal/vertical in the New England area.

Can’t see it because I don’t faceplant, but if it’s what I think it is, a Palmgren 8”XY RT, I‘d look elsewhere if you are wanting to do precision work. My brother gave me one and it’s a good drill press RT. It is not a good mill RT. It has slop that can’t be tuned out of it and it’s nowhere near a real RT quality and build wise. Too much overhang from the XY.

The Phase II is/was made in Taiwan, I suspect the Shars is made in China and may be of lesser quality. Buyer beware
I would like to believe the extra money gets you a better quality product, but 750$ is steep for a 6" unit
-M

My 6" 4th axis RT is a rebadged Phase II RT with stepper drive for CNC use. The problem that I have with it is when used in the vertical position, it leaks lubricant as it has no seal between the base and the table. Although I could probably replace the oil with grease, it still will get coolant into the RT interior.. Not good.:(

Back