Specific size hole using mill

Pcmaker

Registered
Registered
What tool do I use on the mill to drill a specific size hole on an object?

To be more specific, I want to drill a very hole on hardened steel, about .005 deep.

Do I use a fly cutter? I'd say the hole would be close to .400 in diameter. Also, the surface of the hole has to be smooth and flat.

I guess the first question I would ask is: How hard is the steel?

Do you have a rotary table? A 1/4 carbide end mill would be my first choice if you have a rotary table.

If you don't have a rotary table then it gets a bit more difficult. The best way would be to make a pivot that would allow you to manually rotate the part around the hole center.

Not a big deal, but just for clarity, that feature on the part would be called a pocket. A hole is generally through the part.

I guess the first question I would ask is: How hard is the steel?

Do you have a rotary table? A 1/4 carbide end mill would be my first choice if you have a rotary table.

If you don't have a rotary table then it gets a bit more difficult. The best way would be to make a pivot that would allow you to manually rotate the part around the hole center.

Not a big deal, but just for clarity, that feature on the part would be called a pocket. A hole is generally through the part.

It's a gun slide. Specifically a slide for a Glock.

I probably should invest in a rotary table.

OK, not terribly hard. A carbide endmill will work fine. A rotary table would be a worthwhile investment.

Rotary table would be a purchase I make in the future. But I have to get a DRO first. It's practically a must have. Just haven't decided yet on which to buy for my PM-25MV

Back