Specs for Pittsburgh / Harbor Freight Magnetic Base

I am going to use it to make a chip shield.
Nice, looks good. Please post it when you are finished making it.

I also used a couple of spare mag bases to make chip shields. Mine are not as elegant, I took the easy way out. Used inexpensive articulating arms for cameras. Simple but they work for me. Can move them around to where ever I need & I made 2 sizes.

20190217_174511.jpg
20210412_184628.jpg
20190217_180220.jpg
20210604_212536.jpg

This morning I started looking on Amazon for cheap refractometers. After 20 mins I thought, "ya dummy you already have one!". Went and dug it out & found out that I have 2 of them, a cheap one & a not so cheap one! And to be honest, I can get by perfectly fine without one. :D :bang head:

View attachment 372491
Do you want to sell one? That one on the bottom looks nicer than the one I have. I use it for checking the specific gravity of my marine aquarium.

Nice, looks good. Please post it when you are finished making it.
Surely. I am also adding a DRO (almost done), and I changed out the static tool post for a QCTP. I also modified the QCTP a bit, raising it for more tool clearance and making it more secure. The tool post would move unless I *REALLY* tightened the post down. Now it holds perfectly with a lot less umph on the cinch nut. I also added a polished top washer so the cinch nut doesn't tend to rotate the post when tightening. The lathe came with a 3 jaw chuck, so I added a 4 jaw. I had to machine a back plate for it, because it doesn't fit my spindle directly. I also added a 5C collet chuck.
I also used a couple of spare mag bases to make chip shields. Mine are not as elegant, I took the easy way out. Used inexpensive articulating arms for cameras. Simple but they work for me. Can move them around to where ever I need & I made 2 sizes.

Simply is usually better, but I wanted the shield to move with the tool, and to cover the full range of chip spray. I like your mill shield. I will do something like it on my mill when it comes in.

Back