Speed Handle Chuck Key For Bison 5c Collet Chuck

mksj

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have had a few 5C collet chucks through the years, and the latest one by Bison takes 2-3X as many crank turns on the chuck key to get the collets seated. With some arthritis in my hands, it wasn't much fun twirling the chuck key a zillion times to change collets. Ideally, maybe a 5C speed chuck or collet closer would have been better but more pricey. I had a spare vise speed handle that I wasn't using, so decided to modified for use on the 5C chuck. Using the center hole, a 3/4" rod fits perfectly in the hex. I used some 3/4" oil rod, machined flats for the key end and and then secured it to the speed handle handle with a 5/16" fine thread pointed set screw. Very rigid, and makes much quicker work of switching collets. The added benefit is that there is enough leverage using it like a T handle to lock the collet in securely and it is very comfortable to use. My hands are happier.

Speed Handle Chuck Key for Bison 5C Collet Chuck.jpg

Great idea. I know what my next project will be now.

very nice job, I finally made a through the spindle collet holder and is very useful at times.

Very nice. I kludge it with an old battery powered hand drill with the clutch set to minimum. Forward and reverse and variable speed.
When I'm close to closing, I switch over to the hand key. Yours is far more elegant.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I'm not familiar with the speed handle, but are you twisting it say a half-rotation, then e-engaging key, give another twist...? ie. I'm wondering if the handle can clear the top of the lathe headstock to tighten continuously? Ive been thinking about either a ratchet wrench or cordless driver solution myself. I don't think there is a lot of torque requirement just tightening until the collet is clamping. Maybe even one of those little hex drivers? (but cheaper if they exist). Heck they even have torque-out limiters, you could tighten to precise grip settings :)

https://www.zorocanada.com/i/G4934176/?gclid=CK7R8rzvxcsCFU6SfgodGvwGZg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm not familiar with the speed handle, but are you twisting it say a half-rotation, then e-engaging key, give another twist...? ie. I'm wondering if the handle can clear the top of the lathe headstock to tighten continuously? Ive been thinking about either a ratchet wrench or cordless driver solution myself. I don't think there is a lot of torque requirement just tightening until the collet is clamping. Maybe even one of those little hex drivers? (but cheaper if they exist).

The speed handle is the same width as the T chuck handle, it easily clears the headstock because the 5C chucks are fairly long so you spin the handle continuously until the collets seats. Then tighten like a T handle. It is very easy to get as much torque or more than a standard T handle to tighten, the radius ends are much easier on the hand and you don't have the wobble of a taller T handle. I considered electric and air, but they are to bulky and one more thing to get in the way. Also would be concerned of cross threading and over tightening the collet which could easily happen. Some of my collets by Lyndex are very tight, I have to carefully wiggle them in and makes sure the thread is catching before spinning the handle.

I finally had a chance to use the MKSJ speed handle on my Bison collet chuck. It really works well. If you have one of these chucks, this speed handle is the ticket. I didn't even bother unwrapping the stock key after trying this handle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back