Speed handle for 5" mill vises?

BTW if you ever need to figure dimensions out, you can easily scale the image. If the vise is 6" across (base) or 5" jaws, measure the vise in the image ,calculate the ratio, measure the wrench..
Or just wing it.. looks about right... after all this is not critical.

I'm going to do a small run of 9/16, 5/8 and 14mm speed handles to put on eBay in the next 2 weeks.

I'll post a pic of the design later, when I have access to a computer. Dealing with Photobucket on a smartphone is maddening.

I went with a relatively short distance between the knob and center socket, for a faster spin, and a shorter overall length as well. One doesn't need a huge about of leverage to tighten a vise.

I'm also pressing an 8mm x 8mm neodymium magnet into the back so it can be stored on any metal surface.

Here's a rendered image from CAD:

2.0%20Rendering_zpsx8fprsyz.jpg

And 2 prototypes I fabricated and have been using in my own shop:
IMG_20170509_142154632_zpsfl45duzs.jpg

While visually, the design may not be quite as pleasing to the eye as others, I specifically designed it to be doable on a manual mill and lathe.

The center socket lets you spin the handle pretty quickly and get jaws snug, and the end socket gives plenty of leverage. The 5/8 handle is 5-3/4 overall length, and the 9/16 and 14mm handles are 5-1/4. Both have enough moment arm to damage the aluminum, and possibly even your vise. I kinda like the shorter length, as it helps discourage over-tightening the vise.

Last edited:
I made one, similar to the above, but by MNC*, not CNC. I drilled the six points of the hexes with 1/16 in drill, before drilling the main holes (depending on needed size) then filed it to fit the hex. Over all length was dependent upon clearing the Y hand wheel in speed mode.

*MNC = Manual Numeric Control.

Terry, I knew about this because I had found that thread a few months back and contacted Will to see if he still had some. Unfortunately they are long gone.

Will and Terry, what are the dimensions on those handles? Thickness of material? Centerline of the outboard 5/8" hex to centerline of handle?

View attachment 233360

Alan, last night I made a post about the those speed handles. After realizing you already knew about them, I edited out my post & since I sold out of them I felt it was irrelevant to this thread.

From the center of the outboard hole to the handle center it's about 5-1/8". The thickness is just under 3/4". If you'd like, I can scan it & send you a PDF if you'd like to get some made.

The handle on mine is fixed. These were originally sold by the original seller as bare aluminum. What annoyed me is because it was bare aluminum, with use it the handle would turn your hand black as you are essentially "polishing" it. So when I had the run made I choose to anodize them clear to take care of that, they used to have a much shinier finish. If you get some made, another option is to use revolving handles if you don't want to get them anodized as most anodizers charge a minimum. I had like 15 or 20 made so anodizing was reasonable for that amount.

On Ken's version (which are very nice BTW), the center hole appears offset & closer to the handle where as the one I have appears to be more centered. His would allow even faster action. I don't know what his dimensions are compared to mine but with mine I think it's perfect. I never even use the outboard hole for more torque. When I tighten parts down, I use one hand on the handle & the other hand on the other end to snug down which is 99.99998% of the time. :)

Ken, your inclusion of a magnet is a good idea. Nice looking handle. I noticed that Edge is making one that has a magnet in a model they make for 6 inchers. Are you going to put them on the classifieds and sell a couple?

Will, thanks for the dimension. I like the concept of the middle hex being centered. Yes, I would like the pdf and I will PM you.

I hadn't considered putting them in the classifieds. Ebay will be a test, to gauge interest.

If they go fast, ill make a lot more. If not, then ill just rid myself of this 50 and call it done!!

The center to center distance from the handle to the middle socket is 2.125", the center to center distance between the hex sockets is 2.74".
I used a shoulder screw for the revolving handle. Though theres no bearings, a drop of grease on the shoulder screws before assembly makes it rotate very smoothly.

Ok, I'll try to get it done tonight & email you along with some dimensions. I have to go to the dentist in a few hrs so if I don't feel well after I'll do it tomorrow.

It sounds like bare aluminum isn't quite the way to go. I'm not set up for anodizing but have plenty of Cerakote in various colors.

I'm wondering if blasting, cerakoting and curing would make these more or less attractive? I've got several pints of cobalt, burnt bronze and gunmetal Cerakote, as well as some Gunkote in coyote tan, flat dark Earth, od green, and earth brown that are a few years old, I could use up on these handles

Last edited:
I hadn't considered putting them in the classifieds. Ebay will be a test, to gauge interest.

If they go fast, ill make a lot more. If not, then ill just rid myself of this 50 and call it done!!

The center to center distance from the handle to the middle socket is 2.125", the center to center distance between the hex sockets is 2.74".
I used a shoulder screw for the revolving handle. Though theres no bearings, a drop of grease on the shoulder screws before assembly makes it rotate very smoothly.
Please give us the ebay link when you get them done and listed.

Back