Speed reducer

Be careful....Too much tension on that belt with put way too much stress on the various bearings.....and accentuate wear

I picked up a 30:1 speed reducer off of Ebay for my Dunlap bandsaw. Looks to be in excellent condition.

View attachment 327534

It has mounting holes on both the top and the bottom. Does it matter if it is mounted upside down. I am still considering how to mount it so that I have the correct rotation. You can turn the input shaft both CW and CCW. The output shaft turns in the same rotation as the input shaft.
I also bought some speed reducers on Ebay a year ago and managed to get hold of them at a much lower price. When installing it, the vent must always be facing up (you will be able to distinguish it because it is the one that points upwards) so that the device does not overheat. I hope that could help

I have never found a vent on my speed reducer. I have thought about taking out one of the screws on the top to act as a vent.

I am reviving this old thread to ask a related question. Has anyone found/used a VFD to speed control a bandsaw with a single phase motor? I would not want to swap out the motor.

I have never found a vent on my speed reducer. I have thought about taking out one of the screws on the top to act as a vent.
If if it doesn't have a vent, then that position should work :)

I am reviving this old thread to ask a related question. Has anyone found/used a VFD to speed control a bandsaw with a single phase motor? I would not want to swap out the motor.
Yes but a VFD is not enough on its own to convert a wood cutting bandsaw to metal cutting, You still need a gear reducer. Lots of info and links here on my bandsaw conversion thread:

I have a gear reducer. I want more precise control over SPFM. You said Yes but I cannot find such a VFD?

Has anyone found/used a VFD to speed control a bandsaw with a single phase motor?

VFD's do not work with most single phase motors.

No vent that I can see anywhere. There look to be multiple filler plugs. At least one on each side of the reducer. If I have time tomorrow I will try to figure out how I can mate it to the motor. Famous last words "It shouldn't be too hard." The input on the reducer is a female 5/8 and the motor shaft is male 5/8. The two should fit together. The output shaft on the reducer is also 5/8 so the pulley from the motor should fit. The pulley is a quadruple pulley. The SFPM range should be 42 to 112 if I measured the pulleys correctly.
There are multiple fill plugs so that this unit can be mounted in any direction....just place the vent at your top.

Back