Speed Vise for my 4x6 Bandsaw

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got tired of manually cranking the vise wheel on my little 4x6 Dayton (Grainger) bandsaw. I fixed the problem by welding an old 1/2" drive socket to the hub of the wheel.

The socket is short enough so I can still hand crank it, but when I use a cordless impact wrench with a 6" extension on it things get speeded up. I run the vise in or out under power, and hand crank the last twist when tightening. Also use the impact wrench for the screw adjustment on the vise itself when a short piece is being cut.

Attachments

• IMG_8949.JPG
    IMG_8949.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8947.JPG
    IMG_8947.JPG
    914.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8950.JPG
    IMG_8950.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 63
I like it, it's the easiest fix for it and it does get the job done.

After using my 1/2" drive impact wrench to adjust the 4x6 vise a few times, I concluded that it spun the wheel faster than I would have liked. Also, It was tiresome having to run and get the impact wrench every time I wanted to make a major adjustment to the vise.

I solved this by pulling out an old DeWalt cordless screwdriver I never use that I could dedicate to the 4x6 vise. It turns much slower than the impact wrench, and I will keep it near the saw. I used a hex to 3/8" square drive adapter, and a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_8972.JPG
    IMG_8972.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 49
Does it not use a half-nut, enabling the movable jaw to slide, so actual tightening is that alone?

No. It's a 40 year old Chinese job.

Well, it's got that as a benefit, made 40 years ago.
Not the case with newer ones, no matter what color theme.

Back