Speedometer Face-Lift for '63 VW Double-cab

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've grown tired of not being able to see the speedometer at night and the visual mismatch with my other gauges. After determining that there are no commercially available replacements and I couldn't afford to have someone else do it, I decided to re-face it myself.

Here's what I'm starting with:
20210518_110304.jpg

Here's what I'm trying to duplicate
Royal Speedometer2.png

First I did the graphics in autoCAD, printed on adhesive backed vinyl label stock. I made punches to cut the center hole and mounting screw holes
20210520_114425.jpg
When I disassembled the speedo, it dawned on me that the face is not flat, and the vinyl face overlay would not go on without wrinkling.
So I decided to make a flat replacement face.
20210518_144123.jpg
20210519_183743.jpg
20210520_115416.jpg

and the finished product.
20210520_155110.jpg

I decided to let the warning and turn-signal indicators shine through the vinyl instead of cutting openings, leaving a cleaner face.
I've ordered LEDs, hope they're bright enough.

Last edited:
Interesting you can’t see the numbers in the dark. It has been decades since I tried to read the old style speedo at night, but I remember the dark background and light numbers being very visible.

Very cool project! I'm curious how the lighting will be, so please keep us updated.

Interesting you can’t see the numbers in the dark. It has been decades since I tried to read the old style speedo at night, but I remember the dark background and light numbers being very visible.
The lighting on the other, white faced, gauges is much brighter than the stock lighting on the speedo. My eyes adjust to that brighter light.

That looks really great!
I can hardly remember the last time I looked at a old VW gauge in the darkness, let alone whether the numbers were visible. I do seem to recall the light coming from the edges though.

I do recall having the needle horizontal in my 71 Westy. Fun times!

I do seem to recall the light coming from the edges though.
Correct, there is a (dim 2w.) bulb on either side. I'm thinking about opening it up again :( and painting the inside white to get better reflection.

Back