Speedometer Face-Lift for '63 VW Double-cab

Correct, there is a (dim 2w.) bulb on either side. I'm thinking about opening it up again :( and painting the inside white to get better reflection.
Or see if they have an LED angel eye big enough to go inside the bezel. Probably need a dimmer on it or it could play havoc with your night vision. You’d see the Speedo great not the road.

Or see if they have an LED angel eye big enough to go inside the bezel. Probably need a dimmer on it or it could play havoc with your night vision. You’d see the Speedo great not the road.
I wish you hadn't mentioned that, now you have me thinking....

Yea, it would probably be too bright....

Correct, there is a (dim 2w.) bulb on either side. I'm thinking about opening it up again :( and painting the inside white to get better reflection.
Two whole retina burning watts!

That looks great!

really impressive work! I wouldn't be able to tell that from a stock piece. I wonder if there's a market in knocking a few more out?

really impressive work! I wouldn't be able to tell that from a stock piece. I wonder if there's a market in knocking a few more out?
Possibly. The face plates would have to be cut by laser or water-jet. The question is could I sell enough to cover the minimum order.

I've grown tired of not being able to see the speedometer at night and the visual mismatch with my other gauges. After determining that there are no commercially available replacements and I couldn't afford to have someone else do it, I decided to do it myself.

Here's what I'm starting with:
View attachment 366711

Here's what I'm trying to duplicate
View attachment 366710

First I did the graphics in autoCAD, printed on adhesive backed vinyl label stock. I made punches to cut the center hole and mounting screw holes
View attachment 366713
When I disassembled the speedo, it dawned on me that the face is not flat, and the vinyl face overlay would not go on without wrinkling.
So I decided to make a flat replacement face.
View attachment 366714
View attachment 366715
View attachment 366716

and the finished product.
View attachment 366717

I decided to let the warning and turn-signal indicators shine through the vinyl instead of cutting openings, leaving a cleaner face.
I've ordered LEDs, hope they're bright enough.
How in the hell did you do that?
It’s beautifully done.!

How in the hell did you do that?
It’s beautifully done.!
Thanks, it turned out almost as good as the picture in my mind.

Which part of the process are you asking about?

Back