Spider for outboard spindle on 12" Logan

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got a project, and looks like I need a spider. Does anyone have one on your 12" for a reference? It has a part for the collet attachment on it now. I'm assuming I'll have to take that off.

You don’t have to take the collet part off . You can make the spider fit over the collet part. Just make it so you don’t mark up the od.

Whether or not you need to remove the collet part depends upon how many spindle threads are visible with it in place. I am not familiar with the Logan but I know that on an Atlas you would usually need to remove either the equivalent collet part or the spindle nut. I doubt that you will find anything written that will tell you but it seems logical to say that the minimum number of exposed threads to install the spider without removing what's already there would be about 2 plus the number of threads in an original spindle nut. And if your spider has set screws to lock it onto the spindle, be sure that you install the brass or lead pellets under the screws to prevent buggering the spindle threads when you tighten the screws.

Does the spider itself have to be concentric to the spindle? Especially since the threads of the spider will adjust the part independent of the spider.

Making on the be a 'tight slip fit" over the collet attachment with tension screws to hold it to the attachment/spindle would be fairly easy.

It doesn't have to be concentric to be used as a spider but if it isn't, there may be some vibration at certain RPM. And why shouldn't it be?

Is the OD of the collet chuck attachment concentric?

It doesn't have to be concentric to be used as a spider but if it isn't, there may be some vibration at certain RPM. And why shouldn't it be?

Is the OD of the collet chuck attachment concentric?

That I cannot answer

I think pic will show collet attachment he is talking about. And yes you can make a spider to fit over the attachment. Just don’t mark up the attachment and if you take it off you will have to indicate it back true. It is made so you can true it back up using the 3 shcs and an indicator.

Back