Spindle Adapter B&S to R8 or other

shcooner

Registered
Registered
Hello All,
I am sure this has been rehashed before but I am curious if anyone has successfully made a Brown and Sharpe #10 to R8 adapter to fit a Gorton 9J mill? I have not had any luck finding anything on the web.

My mill currently has an adapter however it has about 0.013" runout at 1.5 inches from the collet and is beating up my tooling and causing issues with drilling accurate holes. The current adapter has been deformed due to it's thin section at the end.

I have thought about purchasing a 7/8 end mill holder on ebay and attempting to bore it out to work however the hardness will likely present some issues.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Shcooner

my first thought was to regrind the bore the B&S 10 to a MT4.
you would have to allow for a slight difference in taper starting point,
that's to say the MT4 taper would set slightly inboard due to the small differences in taper width at it's widest point.
but i can assume you could also reface the spindle to match the new taper.
you got me thinking though.....that's not always a good thing.:rofl: lol sometimes i dream big

you could go with a set up like this

http://www.shars.com/products/view/298/MT4_ER40_ER_Collet_Holder

Thanks Ulma, I thought about regrinding the taper and am sure that that would fix the runout issues however I don't have the money to send the spindle out for regrind. After the full teardown of the mill and replacement of all the spindle bearings I am more inclined to keep them in place. Maybe you are right though it may be the short path to success maybe I should just save up.

The rest of the machine is in good shape this is the last hurdle to overcome.

Added a couple of before and after pictures just to gloat.
20140316_174744 - Copy (600x800).jpg20140427_152632 - Copy (800x600).jpg

20140427_152639.jpg 20140316_174744 - Copy (600x800).jpg 20140427_152632 - Copy (800x600).jpg

Last edited:
You can't grind a No. 4 Morse in place of the 10 B & S. You have to add material to the bore. The No. 10 is a .510" taper per foot, it's shallow. A No. 4 Morse is about .623" taper per foot, it;s steeper!

Back when I had my 9J mills, I made a adapter that had the 10 B & Sharpe shank and used ER-32 collets. It took a lot of fine tuning to get the tapers running true. My 9 SBL was a life saver again! I was able to select a inch thread pitch that came close to the 1.5mm thread on a common ER collet chuck. Worked out perfect.

Wells Index can regrind a BS9 to R8. They might be able to insert a sleeve and regrind it to R8?

Back