Spindle bearing

Danny

Registered
Registered
What is the consequence of putting the spindle bearing on opposite of the way it came off? = did not mark front and not sure if it is on properly, this is the front bearing.

Thanks in advance
Dan

It depends on the bearing type. Angular contact bearings are meant to be used in pairs, opposing each other to take up axial play. They must be oriented correctly. Tapered roller bearings, the same.

A simple ball bearing should be able to be used in either orientation with the exception of possible seals.

It depends on the bearing type. Angular contact bearings are meant to be used in pairs, opposing each other to take up axial play. They must be oriented correctly. Tapered roller bearings, the same.

A simple ball bearing should be able to be used in either orientation with the exception of possible seals.
I should have been more specific, the bearings are the brass sleeve type with a spreader slot in them

Aside from any lubrication grooves or holes, I don't think the orientation would matter.

Aside from any lubrication grooves or holes, I don't think the orientation would matter.
I wouldn't thinks so either but everything I have read specifically says to make sure front stays front. Just wondering why.

Dan

Generally, If it isn't possible to distinguish front from back, I assume there is no difference. What is the specific application? Your references may be talking about the front and back bearings rather than bearing orientation.

The front and back bearings are different in length, I'm talking about bearing orientation = front bearing pointing in the same direction that it was pointing when I took it off the spindle. This is a SB heavy 10 head stock bearing that I'm talking about. I guess I didn't state the manufacture of the lathe that I was asking the question about. This particular bearing is ahead of the bull gear which has to be pressed off to get to the bearing, beyond the bearing is a shoulder and beyond that is the threads that the chuck screws onto

Danny: If you are removing and replacing the original bearing then you want to put it back in it's original position. Flipping it around "messes up its head"
so to speak, and the clearances will change.
Try to match up the wear marks if you can.
Mark

When I worked on my SB13 spindle and bearings I found that both the bearings and the dovetail spreader were marked with an "F" for the front side. If a bearing is hand scraped in, I personally would definitely want to reinstall it in the correct orientation.

Ted

As Mark mentioned, those bearings need to go back in to exactly where they were in all respects. Not only may they have been bored straight in situ when new but they have also worn in since. This makes them good only when they are back to the original position.

Back