Spindle/Chuck does not turn smoothly

rfresh747

Registered
Registered
When I turn my chuck by hand, should it turn smoothly? Mine does not turn smoothly. It turns with 'clunks'...like I can feel each tooth in the spindle gear box. So I turn it by hand and feel a 'clunk' about every 1/4 inch turn of the chuck. Is this normal?

I don't have the thread gears engaged so just the spindle is turning.

Could this be caused by the motor/belt assembly? Or is this more of a spindle bearing issue?

Last edited:
Sorry...Harbor Freight 7x12.

I had roller bearings installed at the LittleMachineShop and I do recall the spindle turned smoothly. I just noticed today that, all put back together, the spindle does not turn smoothly by hand now.

I would contact the people who did the modification, it should not feel anything but smooth. Don't mess with it yourself unless the vendor says to do so. You paid for a service, presumably there is some sort of warranty.

It's the motor. I loosened the belt and the spindle turns smoothly (I was pretty sure it did at LittleMachineShop when I was there).

I can turn the motor pulley and feel the same 'clunk' or 'ratchet' feel. So it is coming from the motor. From what I've read about DC motors, this is normal. So I guess this is a non-issue and I can put the belt back on the motor and resume my lathe work!

If it is a permanent magnet motor you will feel the poles as it rotates by hand.

David

Back