[4]

Spindle Hand Wheel

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

middle.road

Actively Learning...
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
While waiting for the heat to come up in the shop I figured to post some 'accomplishments' from this past season...

Trying to turn 7/8-32 both internal and external under power, I kept messing up. Wish I had a brake on my lathe.
So after watching a couple of videos I 'kludged' this together. The wheel is off a busted up measuring wheel.
I of course pulled a boner and engaged the lathe with the little knob mounted on the wheel, that was interesting...
With the knob removed it spins true.

001r.jpg 002r.jpg 003r.jpg

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Looks like it gets the job done; my Oliver patternmaker's lathe has a back end handwheel that is made of aluminum with a round profile on the OD, handy for stopping the spindly in less time than just coasting to a stop, and it doubles for a back end faceplate with hole circles drilled on its face for screwing work onto its face.

BaronJ

Brass
Registered
Hi Dan,

I like that ! I made a lathe wheel some years ago from a plastic washing machine pulley. Comes in very useful particularly for winding back to the start of a thread.

21022015-01.JPG

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Here's pretty much the same thing I made for my 9x20 in 2013. Note the washers opposite the handle. There's cavity in the plywood partially filled with lead. It's a counterweignt for the handle, just in case I goof and turn on the motor when the "crank" is installed.
kHPIM3235.jpg kHPIM3236.jpg

[6]
[5] [7]