Spindle Hand Wheel

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While waiting for the heat to come up in the shop I figured to post some 'accomplishments' from this past season...

Trying to turn 7/8-32 both internal and external under power, I kept messing up. Wish I had a brake on my lathe.
So after watching a couple of videos I 'kludged' this together. The wheel is off a busted up measuring wheel.
I of course pulled a boner and engaged the lathe with the little knob mounted on the wheel, that was interesting...
With the knob removed it spins true.

001r.jpg 002r.jpg 003r.jpg

Looks like it gets the job done; my Oliver patternmaker's lathe has a back end handwheel that is made of aluminum with a round profile on the OD, handy for stopping the spindly in less time than just coasting to a stop, and it doubles for a back end faceplate with hole circles drilled on its face for screwing work onto its face.

Hi Dan,

I like that ! I made a lathe wheel some years ago from a plastic washing machine pulley. Comes in very useful particularly for winding back to the start of a thread.

21022015-01.JPG

Here's pretty much the same thing I made for my 9x20 in 2013. Note the washers opposite the handle. There's cavity in the plywood partially filled with lead. It's a counterweignt for the handle, just in case I goof and turn on the motor when the "crank" is installed.
kHPIM3235.jpgkHPIM3236.jpg

Back