Spindle lock for PM25?

Bill Kahn

Registered
Registered
I continue to enjoy my PM25 hobbiest mill.

Does anyone know of a purchase or a mod for some sort of spindle lock? It's a bit of a coordination-required hand dance changing the collets.

Or, any suggestions for kludging one together? I am a machinist now--I should be able to make stuff.

Thanks.

-Bill

I find no problem changing collets, The left hand holds the spanner for the lower flats, the right (I'm right handed) holds the ridiculous little wrench for the top of the draw bar, just to break it loose. A sharp rap with the handle of the spanner breaks the collet loose from the taper. I then put a knurled spinner on the top and unscrew it till the collet drops into my waiting left hand. One note, however, I'm retired, I've got all the time in the world. I've been doing this for years. I do remember air operated draw bar machines fondly, but feel no need for them now.

I continue to enjoy my PM25 hobbiest mill.

Does anyone know of a purchase or a mod for some sort of spindle lock? It's a bit of a coordination-required hand dance changing the collets.

Or, any suggestions for kludging one together? I am a machinist now--I should be able to make stuff.

Thanks.

-Bill

Here's one I made, based on one I saw for sale on the internet somewhere. Clamps to the quill and I made it so I could use the existing pin to secure the spindle. I even put a 'remove before flight' flag on it so I wouldn't leave it in and turn the mill on. :eek:

IMG_0618.jpg

I made the same type of spindle lock as Bill's pic, use the original pin also. there are a few different designs on the net , some with retractable pin but the simpler the design the easier it is to make/operate imho ,.

I did leave the pin in the spindle once and started the motor but quickly turned the mill off, after that I have made a habit of turning the spindle by hand a couple of times to make sure I didn't leave the pin in by mistake again :). it is a simple project to make and extremely useful.
This is very similar to what I'm talking about, pic is not mine( Google):

images.jpg

Back