Spindle motor or controller?

Jim suggests a scope too. Probably can't start looking to barrow one until next week. There are probably a few people with scopes around here but getting the use of one after I find it may be another thing.

But why does it matter what is wrong if there are no parts available? Wouldn't just going straight to designing a new controller that will function with the new motor & drive I already have, along with the existing axis motors & other components, make sense? Especially when those circuit boards in question are known to be troublesome?

But why does it matter what is wrong if there are no parts available? Wouldn't just going straight to designing a new controller that will function with the new motor & drive I already have, along with the existing axis motors & other components, make sense? Especially when those circuit boards in question are known to be troublesome?

If these PCB's are know to be troublesome, I would bet that there is a common failure. I have fixed enough electronics in my time to know if equipment has a high failure rate the failures are almost always common and usually because a component/s is under rated.

Before you go borrowing a scope, look at the PCB very carefully (use a magnifier) for any tel-tail signs of scorching, this may be as minor as discolouration of the PCB or resistor can. I have seen on many occasions where a transistor looks good but on close inspection there is a small crack in the case. Or you could be lucky and there is a big hole in it.

Then test ALL the transistors, diodes and resistors on the PCB. Can you post a photo of the PCB.

Back