Spindle noise questions Enco 100-1525 / Jet JVM-836

lens42

Active User
Registered
I recently got an Enco 100-1525 2/3 copy of a BP mill (appears to be the same as a Jet JVM-836. At some speeds and when loaded, I'm hearing rattling noises from the head. When the head is tilted, the rattling gets worse. When I got the machine, I ran it over all speeds (3500 max) and everything seemed quiet, but I didn't actually cut with it. I tried measuring lateral movement while pushing sideways on the spindle and I get literally zero motion, so the spindle is not sloppy in that way. Also. the highest speeds (3500 rpm) are quieter than some of the lower speeds if that helps.I supposed this means new bearings.

Is there anything else that could cause this noise? Is there an adjustment? If new bearing are in order, is there any place where I can get pics or instructions of how actually remove and replace the bearings and what to watch out for? I may be in over my head here, not having done this level of repair before, but if you guys can supply some guidance I'm hoping a careful newbie can handle this.

Make sure the drawbar is not rubbing inside the spindle where it seats. I made a washer for between the drawbar and the spindle that has a little narrower part that sits a short distance inside the spindle to keep the drawbar centered.

Not knowing your mill, by the top speed of 3500 suggests it is a Vari speed head. In that case you might have a look into that. It is common in Bridgeport machines to have the plastic bushing go bad.

As already mentioned, the draw bar could also be a source of noise as well. To check, Remove any tooling from the spindle, including the collet. Remove the draw bar from the machine, and run it at any , or all speeds the machine had made noise before. You may just be lucky enough to have the draw bar rattling around off centre, and machining up a washer to help keep it centre would be a easy fix.

I'm almost too embarrassed to write this. I hadn't oiled the spindle. Everything is quiet now.

Are you talking about the splines?

No, I mean the oil cup on the left side of the head. I also put some heavy gear oil down the splines, but spindle oil in the cup cleared up the noise first. On my previous mill, the spindle bearings were (sort of) permanently lubed, and a cup in a similar spot was only for the up/down motion of the spindle. At least that's what I thought it was for because any time I put oil there, it all ended up on the table. It took me a while to figure out that cup on this machine oils the spindle bearings.

WHat kind of oil should I fill the cups with on my Enco 100-1525?

I've been using "Mobile Oil No. 10 Spindle Oil Medium".

I actually still have the original rattle noise on all but the lightest cuts. Cut quality is not affected so I never dug into it except to determine it's not the drawbar. It sounds like it may be an upper bearing near a pulley. I also still don't see how oil gets from the cup on the head to any place useful. It seems to mostly drip out the bottom and spray around when the spindle turns, but I put it in anyway.

If you mean the cups at the back of the knee, and not the one on the spindle head, I use way oil: Mobile Vactra Oil No. 2 Way Oil Medium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Jet JTM-4VS mill calls out "Mobil DTE Oil Light, or equivalent" and to service daily. I fill it every time I use the mill as mine can sit for a couple of weeks idle sometimes and get drained out. Cheap insurance.

Back