Spindle noise questions Enco 100-1525 / Jet JVM-836

@sanddan Do you find that oil drips down to the spindle nose and flys off when it's spinning? That's what happens after I fill the cup and wonder if oil really is going where it should inside the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After sitting for a few weeks I've had the bearings make noise if I didn't add oil. If is has sat for a long time I wait a few minutes before running it.

The oil dripping from the spindle doesn't bother me at all.

I am having serious problems with the spindle slop moving .035" up and down. Absolutely zero slop raidial direction, this is an axial direction problem only. Say I move the handle to bring the tool in contact with the work, it would start to cut on contact. Now let's say I lock the spindle position there with the machine off. Unlocking the spindle, tool still in contact with the work piece, I can push down on the spindle lever lightly and although the mill end is at the same location on the work piece, I can move the handle and watch the scale move another .035" down! I can't find any adjustments nor understand what holds the bearings in place. WHat do you think, do I need to replace bearings or is there a cheap way to get this slop shimmed out of the spindle? I have checked the tightness of the spanner nuts top and bottom, that doesn't seem to be a problem and although the top spanner nut did turn in about 1/2 thread it did nothing to take out any slop. I have a little intermittent noise in the upper bearings, even though I made a centering spacer for the draw bar. Any suggestions much appreciated guys!

Just to clarify, is the spindle moving or is it the quill? The spindle is inside the quill. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same part. What you describe sounds like normal backlash in the quill rack & pinion. If the spindle itself is moving inside the quill, then that would be a serious problem.

If you dont have a manual , look at grizzly site for there copy of the mill. On there dimension page has pdf downloads free. Should show if there adjustable take up for the bearings. I have the enco mill like yours but havent had a chance to even try it out, hit with three bulging discs and the pain has stopped me but good. But im trying epidural shots two already no relief yet.

Back