Spindle nose taper identification

Lo-Fi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hi folks

I'm trying to identify the taper on the spindle nose of my dividing head. It's a bit of an oddball as there are no identifying marks on the dividing head at all anywhere. The 3 jaw chuck itself has no identifying marks other than "Made in England" and some numbers stamped in the back. I'd like to mount a 4 jaw to it, which will involve sourcing (or making) another back plate, and this is where I'm stuck.

It's kind of American L taper style: Keyed with a draw nut, but it's smaller than even L00 and the key is angled with the taper, not parallel to the bore like the L series. The end of the nose is dead nuts on 40mm, the taper included angle is 15 degrees, the draw nut thread is right handed, 65mm OD & 3mm pitch and the back plate is 30mm deep. Key is 8.5mm wide.

The dividing head itself uses all metric fasteners and threads. It's 100mm centre height, 40:1 ratio and has an auxiliary gear input. Has tangs in the bottom which fit the Bridgeport T slots like a glove. It's skookum as frig and very well put together. I absolutely love the thing.

Any clues? If indeed this is a common arrangement and not specific to the unknown manufacturer.

Pitures of the spindle will follow shortly when my phone decides to co-operate on uploading them.

For now, this is the complete assembly:

2020-05-05 18.42.49.jpg

Any input greatly appreciated!

Back