Spindle Seal?

Well, I just backed off the nose cap about 1/8" and squirted some silicone in the gap. I snugged back up and wiped off the excess, so I'll see if this works. If it does fill the quill up, I can drain it by removing the set screw in the quill.
If that doesn't work, I had and idea about a cup type catcher that would screw on the tool holder threads

Should be interesting, let us know how it works out.

OK... the "diaper" method didn't work. So I sealed everything up, and the "constipation" method didn't work either, it still leaked. So......I'm at plan C, the "spitoon" method. I turned up an aluminum ring and threaded it to fit the Erickson threads on the spindle. I then found a piece of 1/2" lexan to use as a saucer. When I turned the lexan, I left an undercut on the inside so oil would not sling out. The benefit of the lexan is that it is clear and I can see the oil being trapped. The aluminum ring was fit into the lexan as a snug fit and super glued.
oilcatcher.jpg
spitoon.jpg Guess what??? This thing ACTUALLY works!!!! And when it gets full, I can remove and empty it.

Back