Spindle Speed Chart

Scra99tch

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a plate telling me what speeds are available but no belt positions. I have too much stuff in my head to remember everything but does anyone have a place that sells metal embossed plates that look like this?

Its for a Central Machinery 12x36 1986 Lathe cannot find a manual for it just something similar which may have a slightly different pulley size.

1539886998154.png

I would make up a table and print it out.
If you don't have the belt configurations, just speed options, you can usually tell which of two speeds is higher. Note the configuration for each speed and draw out a diagram like the one on the left and mark the belt combinations.
Someone may have the information.
edit: An online search shows it to be a gear head lathe. I also saw that Groundhog on this forum has/had one and may be able to help.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/members/groundhog.40459/

Last edited:
I guess I could sharpie it on the undersize of the gear cover as a last resort.

Kinda looks like belt position is on the left

I used a tachometer and made a chart for my Logan 400. I used excel then laminated it.
KIMG1493.jpg

I see belt positions and RPM on the plate in the picture- is that plate for a different lathe than yours?
mark

I have a plate telling me what speeds are available but no belt positions. I have too much stuff in my head to remember everything but does anyone have a place that sells metal embossed plates that look like this?

Its for a Central Machinery 12x36 1986 Lathe cannot find a manual for it just something similar which may have a slightly different pulley size.

I agree with others. You may want to make a wall chart. I bought the very same metal embossed plate you show, but couldn't find a place for it on the lathe, so made one, crude as it is.

QC42 Speed Chart.jpg

I see belt positions and RPM on the plate in the picture- is that plate for a different lathe than yours?
mark

Yes, My plate show direct drive, and belt drive, with spindle speeds but no belt positions. I mean like I said I would like a quick reference because everytime I go into change a belt it takes me a minute or two to figure out if I am adjusting it right.

Is this your spindle speed chart? This is from an HF 33274 manual.
33274 Spindle Speed.JPG
If your question is, "how can I obtain a durable reproduction?". There are several options.

The simplest is to make a copy of the chart and laminate it. Printing on a laser printer rather than ink jet is preferable so the ink doesn't run.

Getting more complicated (and more expensive), you can take a line drawing and convert it to a file that can be read by a CNC router or mill and engrave the image on plastic or metal. Back fill with suitable paint to get the desired contrast.

Another way would be to transfer the image to a photosensitive plate (think pc board, DigiKey) and etch. Printing the image on a transparency will create the necessary photomask.

Another would be to print the image on a suitable base material with a 3D printer. If the image was printed high enough, the whole plate could be sprayed with a suitable background color to and the paint sanded off to create the contrast.

There are also commercial enterprises that can transfer artwork to a plaque.

Back