Spindle woes pt. 2.

Izzy

Registered
Registered
So my spindle woes continue with my Bridgeport :( I dunno if they're supposed to be this loud as I've never ran a series 2 before so I've take some videos to hopefully help out. The video shows the machine powering up and winding down. Now I don't know if these other problems are related but I think they might be. The cutter had a wobble to it which I noticed by eye and I put an indicator on it an measured .003" the video shows this as well. And with the spindle just free spinning the load meter reads around 80-85% and goes down to about 60-65% when I take a cut. First video is the start up and wind down second is the cutter wobble. Also in high gear the lowest rpm it will go is about 1000 which leaves a 600rpm gap from the top of low gear. Not sure how to go about fixing that either.

The runout is probably on the shell mill cutter body itself, not necessarily the spindle. No doubt you have it in low range, and most of that noise is coming from the back gear.

Fair enough, being a sandvik I figured it would be pretty good.
It sounds the same at any speed either high gear or low gear....

I was told that alot of the noise comes from worn bushing that is on the reeves pulleys.This is for a series 1 so this may not apply to yours,I just order two pairs.Maybe take a collet and mill cutter and see if your still out .003,take what I say with a grain of salt,I'm a newbie and clueless.But also maybe check out some Youtubes for spindle noise and run out.I been watching several of the H&W Bridgeport videos they been lot of help.

Yea there's lots of info on the series 1 not so much the series 2 lol I'll try this with a brand new endmill and collet and report back

Well I got a chance to check it with a brand new 1/2" sandvik endmill and I had .002" I had an old co-worker from the mold makers I used to work for check it out he thinks something isnt right either. Anything I can do to test or check for bad bearings for sure?

Hi Izzy,

Just found this thread !
The noise is normal for a varispeed head.
The 2 thou runout is probably dirt in the taper, give it a good wipe with a paper towel, or a ding on the collet.
Also you shouldn't use a dial gauge against a running spindle, it damages the tip of the gauge feeler.

I'm not too worried about the tips I have tons of them lol well I'm glad to hear it sounds fine. Any ideas on what would cause me to loose my speeds? The slowest it spins in high gear is 1000 it should be around 4-500

Hi Izzy, Could just be belt slip, its only a pair of cones that move as you alter the belt tension with the speed control.

Back