Spinning Tops

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
One of our members recently piqued my interest in tops so I thought I might make a few. These would be great gifts as well especially if you have younger children in your world.

First check out some of the incredible machining and design aesthetics here:

https://www.billetspin.com/home/

Here's my attempt. Still waiting on bearings. I ordered some SiN balls.

33250564492_19304bffb2_h.jpg

32592065563_d196289f73_h.jpg

33277955591_5eb3cdb779_h.jpg

33250546142_a69b378d6d_h.jpg

These are both stainless flywheels with interference fit aluminum shafts.

R

This was one of the things I most wanted to try when I first got my lathe, as much to show my kids what the machine was about as any other reason. But all I had on hand that I was willing to use for a top was 3/4" aluminum. I made a couple and they work okay (about like anything you might buy on an average toy aisle), but then there have been too many other projects and I haven't gotten back to it. Now I have LOTS of material options, including an assortment of bearings, and these recent discussions have renewed my interest. I say we make this a running thread and share our projects here.

That was my hope in starting the thread! What did you think of Billetspin?
R

Here's another group offering tops. Quite different. Tops are so much fun!

well I'll try it again.
Here's another group offering tops. Quite different. Tops are so much fun as well as works of art.

https://foreverspin.com

Foreverspin made a TON of money on Kickstarter when they launched. Like enough to buy all the Tormachs and materials and tooling they could want. Crazy successful, and with an unbelievably simple design. Anyone with access to a lathe and a profile shot of one of their tops could duplicate it to a very close tolerance (as far as to go).

Need to check out Billetspin. Brb...

Nice, I also made several but only out of Aluminum, with a steel ball for a point. Nothing fancy just something for kids of all ages to play with.

I knew Billetspin sounded familiar. I've seen some of those, and others like them, from videos that collectors/spinners put on YouTube. Gorgeous work. I have always loved the combination of bright, polished steel and copper, and combined in something this well made is particularly attractive.

Foreverspin tops are garbage. Their whole gist is to highlight what the different metals look like- a "library" of metals, if you will. In that respect they are fine. As a top- they are crap. Couldn't even be bothered to put a bearing tip on them... For "high end" tops, they are pretty low end. (And I say that owning one.)
IMG_3045_zps6pjtceqv.jpg

BilletSpin is very cool. I had one of Rich's early tops, but ended up selling it off in order to pay for the flooring in my shop. (Consider that!!) Some of those tops are worth a lot of money. Focus Works is one of my personal favorites as well. If you're even remotely interested, then check out the Pocket Top Talk facebook group. Just about every legitimate top maker is a member of that group.

Steve Robbins of Fiddle Factory is another incredible maker.
John Schipp of Harpuahound Studio is another great. He's more of a metal carver, but also does some turning.

I'm curious how you intend to finish the bearing in those tops. Will you mount the stem in a collet?

Here is a top I made from hardware store parts before my lathe was operational
IMG_7042%20copy_zpsbweuyqln.jpg

This is a "spinning coin" from Harpuahound Studio:
DSC_2019_rdc_zpsskz0rpp0.jpg

DSC_2020_rdc_zpsfxgck8qx.jpg

DSC_2021_rdc_zpslynqcavv.jpg

DSC_2025_rdc_zpsokshax7y.jpg

Here's a really early BilletSpin. Not too many "turbine" ones out there. I no longer own this guy.
IMG_3893%20copy_zpsrimi9mge.jpg

IMG_3892%20copy_zpslasoocjp.jpg

IMG_3891%20copy_zpsrsrqsoqp.jpg

Brian Fellhoelter of Fellhoelter Toolwerks is another great top maker. His are excellent spinners, and a great beginner top at that.
IMG_3889%20copy_zpsp0ryc5cp.jpg

IMG_3888%20copy_zpsgxuvj7tm.jpg

IMG_3887%20copy_zpspkehpayt.jpg

And finally, here's my personal favorite of my collection- this is called the "Supercollider" from Focus Works.
IMG_3047_zps0g5enwzn.jpg

IMG_3048_zpst9gzg4sh.jpg

IMG_3049_zpsdkzaqnih.jpg

IMG_3052_zpsoiewleed.jpg

...You can see- the sky is the limit! Or maybe your imagination.

Back