Spiral Flute Taps

Cobra

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any disadvantage to spiral flute taps vs standard plug taps?
They seem to be enough of an advantage to not bother with regular taps any longer.

I have tried both however tbe spiral taps i tried were chinese imports verse japanese regular taps i will still with my japanese ones for now .However i have read and watched great results with the spiral taps maybe when i am a bit more flush i will try some better brand spirals but in mean time here in thailand ill stick with the japanese taps as there not badly priced .

cobra are you by any chance in thailand ?
Reason i ask is your picture is supporting the thai natianal flag .Im up in chiang mai

I have tried both however tbe spiral taps i tried were chinese imports verse japanese regular taps i will still with my japanese ones for now .However i have read and watched great results with the spiral taps maybe when i am a bit more flush i will try some better brand spirals but in mean time here in thailand ill stick with the japanese taps as there not badly priced .

cobra are you by any chance in thailand ?
Reason i ask is your picture is supporting the thai natianal flag .Im up in chiang mai

Hello Moper361!
Yes, I am currently in Thailand.
We are currently in Krabi. We started the first of the year in Hanoi and will head home to Canada on the 28th.
Been a great visit. It's just a little warm for us over the last week or so in Krabi with street/beach temperatures of 42 C (108 F).
Sincerly glad that we are not working at this temp!
Been wonderful people for the whole trip.
Jim

Hello Moper361!
Yes, I am currently in Thailand.
We are currently in Krabi. We started the first of the year in Hanoi and will head home to Canada on the 28th.
Been a great visit. It's just a little warm for us over the last week or so in Krabi with street/beach temperatures of 42 C (108 F).
Sincerly glad that we are not working at this temp!
Been wonderful people for the whole trip.
Jim
Ahh okay your on vacation here .I actually live in Chiang Mai .Have been here about 12 years .If you are ever up this way again drop me a message and possibly can show you around a bit
Regards Nat

Ahh okay your on vacation here .I actually live in Chiang Mai .Have been here about 12 years .If you are ever up this way again drop me a message and possibly can show you around a bit
Regards Nat

Thanks Nat. We debated going north from Bangkok but thought we only had four weeks and wanted to see Koh Lanta as well. We were down there for a week and a half and now finishing in Ao Nang.
The same offer is there if you are on the east coast of Canada. We are currently in Moncton, New Brunswick on the Atlantic coast.
Great spot but you would only like it in the summer!!
All the best
Jim

Regarding spiral flute taps. All mine are bottoming taps. So if you are hand tapping then they may not be as good for getting started as a normal starter tap, or plug tap. Other than that I love spiral flute for blind holes and using the lathe or press with a tap follower.

David

Like most of my 60+ year old collection of all things collectable, I have a real mismatch of taps. I really do like
the spiral flutes that do have (10 or so) but I rarely use them since they are not in my typical thread sizes.

About the only reason to use them is for blind holes, because they eject the chips at the driven end; I don't thin that I have any of them, I use ordinary hand taps for most everything.

I have loads of taps but only use spiral flute taps these days. I have used Chinese taps in M35 and M42 with great results. Here is a rough review of these taps in use:

The trick with Chinese tools is to spend what you would for an average tool in USA or UK on a Chinese offering direct from the manufacturer and you get a high end product.

Paul.

About the only reason to use them is for blind holes, because they eject the chips at the driven end; I don't thin that I have any of them, I use ordinary hand taps for most everything.
John, spiral POINT taps push the chips ahead, spiral FLUTE taps pull the chips out. It is often said that spiral point taps are for through holes, and spiral flute taps are for blind holes, but it is not that simple and there is some crossover.

Back