Splitting dowel

12bolts

Global Moderator
Registered
I want to split some 1" round hardwood dowel lengthwise. I need a total length of about 2 ft but it can be in smaller pieces if required, (about 8") but a single piece will be easier to work with for turning afterwards.
What would be the best way to get as accurately and straight a 1/2 & 1/2 cut? I can afford to sand it to some degree to get it straight and even.
At my disposal I have chisels, hand saws, a thicknesser, a wood lathe, belt sander, router, table saw. And my metal working machines, (lathe, mill, drill)

Cheers Phil

Take a piece of 4x4 and dado a 1" slot in it, screw a piece of plywood to the end to close the end of the slot and to act as a push piece. Place the dowel in the slot, put the assembly on the saw table, dowel down, center on the dowel and make the cut.

Or, mill it in half and use twice as much. You don't really need that much anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, but Ive changed thoughts.
Thinking I will glue to pieces of 1 x 1/2 DAR together, turn it to shape, then split it on the glue line

Cheers Phil

Thinking I will glue to pieces of 1 x 1/2 DAR together, turn it to shape, then split it on the glue line

Cheers Phil
Hey Phil,
I'm new to this forum and realize that by now you've probably already done your project. I just wanted to mention another technique that works for 1/2 and 1/4 profiles. When you glue the stock together to turn you place brown paper (like the grocery bags) in between the pieces. After you turn the profile (or just round it up) it's a simple matter to split.

Kevin

Cheers Phil

If you use a hot melt glue, you can heat the turned dowel to soften the glue, lessening the likelihood of pulling wood from the joint. If you use paper between the two pieces, you will have a slightly less than hemispherical piece. (I purposely use a shim if I want to make a two piece clamp for a round.)

Bob

Back