spreading the love..from a Mazak

That have the Mazatrol control on it? If so it's not bad. Conversational programming or if you have CAM you can get a postprocessor that will spit out the G-code. I've spent a little time on an 18n I believe it was. Brand new, very tight accurate machine.If it has the tool presetter on the arm, be careful. If you run over it, it's pretty pricey.

After about 5 years, the display failed and I had to get a generic flat panel and do a bit of adapting, but brought it to life. By the way, we had a Hyundai the same size, same color, all interchangeable parts. Couldn't say who really builds them for sure, but would bet it's Hyundai. I wouldn't mind having one. They are good starter machines for a small shop.

Yes it has the Mazitrol on it. And I will be finding the post processor for sure because cam is what I am used to using. And simulAtion has saved my bacon many times. The conversational control will be interesting to learn. On the road now! Whohoo!

While the Mazitrol is not simple, it's good, once you get on to it. I had the two day course in Kentucky, was able to start working as soon a st he machine was installed. I did have previous experience on a Mazak mill, but the lathe was entirely different. Granted, this was 20 years ago.
I'm sorta glad I don't have one now, I'd be tempted to play on it all the tilme. I am envious of your good fortune.

Wow! She is bigger in real life!
Everything works great. Interface is very intuitive and it comes with all kinds of manuals and such. Spins up great. Hefty ass pneumatic chuck and tailstock. He is throwing in a couple 6" 4 jaw chucks and the soft jaws to mount them into. And one fresh soft jaw and the a couple cut already for 1" stock and one for 3 " stock. Only surprise is ther is no coolant tray. Coolant pump and all that but no tray.

The toe jack lifted the entire heavy end without any strain at all! That was very satisfying and a load off my mind.

Did I mention it sure seems bigger in real life! Wow. This is a lot of machine and I am soooo fine with that! (Lucky actually. Very very lucky)

Now tomorrow for the haul back down the hill and then the exciting part of the move into the garage.

IMG_4261.JPG

IMG_4262.JPG

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

Great work on the toe-jack, another "tool in the crib" for when you need it.
I thought it looked big until you showed it beside the lathe!

and then the exciting part of the move into the garage.
Be safe!

-brino

Last edited:
Success!
What a long stressful day. The planning and thinking worked out. And we got lucky as hell with the weather. Snow at Vail Pass and windshield breaking hail and flooding all along the root home after we got down the mountain. We missed all of it by 20 min. Blessed is what it was.
Steps:
Wrecker dragged it out of the shop
Short trip to metal distribution location and a big forklift to remove it from wrecker and transfer to trailer.
Big key here was three 12 foot 4x4's laying down on the wood and partial metal grate trailer for later.
Another awesome idea the driver had was to put the tarp half under the 4x4s then machine on the 4x4's then fold tarp over the front of the machine. Then 3 rolls of duct tape wrapped around the machine after all is tied down and a big strap. The duct tape helped a ton with tarp flap and it lasted the full 6 hr drive. Thank god since we got dumped on many times.
Then, timing it with traffic, meet up with another wrecker at the end of my street for the transfer off the trailer onto the wrecker.
Wrecker bed backed up to the 4x4's just below the machine bottom. Then pull it off. Used teflon slide wedges under the 2front feet. Pulled it on and drove to the garage.
Wrecker slid its bed back and angled up. Lucky there was just enough clearance. He had to jiggle the bed back and forward and scooted the lathe off inch by inch. Then when enough was hanging off the back he tilted it up so I could get the skate under it then angled it back up. Now as he let out the winch and I steered it where I wanted it to go. Then before the last part came off the bed we slipped a skate under each side on the back. Man those homemade skates did the trick. I got to borrow them since the driver was heading back there. It should have worked the same with the hillman rollers.
Then 3 of us pushed it and pulled it into place. Toe jack one end. Slide 4" half inch thick plates under each foot remove skates lower. Repeat for other side. Back to the day job tomorrow. Dang it!!

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

Man those homemade skates did the trick.

Do you have any pictures of those?

Back to the day job tomorrow. Dang it!!

Jeez, Doesn't your employer know that this addition to the family warrants some time off to get to know each other?

That is one big lathe.
Congrats on the successful move!

-brino

Been a while.. Stupid life taking me away from doing fun stuff! well kinda..

I finally have a phase converter on the way and a list of tools we are picking up. I will update this post as I get the phase converter installed and the machine running.
Then I can start a thread for my first project on it. ER32 collet holders with a 1.5" wide body 3 inches long with a full through hole.
Fingers crossed she runs without too much hassle after the long trip over the mountains. Hopefully by next weekend I will be making chips!

Back