Spring Joint Caliper Replacement Spring

HolyHarp

Registered
Registered
The spring broke on a pair of calipers. I'm considering just tossing them but I do like to repair things if possible. How could I find or make a spring for them?

Here's a photo of the calipers with the broken spring. I'm thinking of trying to make a replacement from bamboo.
2018-08-09 11.21.07.jpg

Well that will be interesting!

Many years ago I undertook the building of a violin from scratch. In order to accomplish the fairly tight curves in the ribs, the maple sides (about 0.50" thick maybe) are bent over a hot iron. You do this freehand, not over a form of any kind. It's actually pretty surprising how tight a radius can be accomplished with just localized heating of the wood and rocking it back and forth over the iron. Wonder if bamboo might respond similarly?

For what it's worth, my "iron" consisted of a short length of schedule 40 black iron pipe which I held in a vise and played a propane torch through the end. Worked great!

-frank

Recently did exactly such a repair. I cut a 1/4 section off a 1" spring steel split collar I picked up on the road. Worked perfectly. I could mail you a 1/4 section to use if you like.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

In trying to avoid the this type of failure and to prevent the spring from losing its spring rate I store my calipers so the spring is not tensioned.

Don’t soak in vinegar to clean rust off with the hoop on. I bought three nice German made ones and went to clean them in vinegar. Came back about ten min later and the hoops were all in pieces :oops: :(. Haven’t figured a way to fix yet so I’m all ears.

I have a small divider with the same problem. Mine are Mititoyo and I'm gonna see if they have parts or will fix them. I know they have a repair shop.

Mititoyo was no help at all, might see if I can make my own.

Recently did exactly such a repair. I cut a 1/4 section off a 1" spring steel split collar I picked up on the road. Worked perfectly. I could mail you a 1/4 section to use if you like.
Thanks for the offer. Let me keep that as a plan B for now. Please post a photo of your handiwork; I think it would be useful to others. I live in a small village in Thailand where there is quite a bit of bamboo but few spring steel split collars.

Back