Spring Joint Caliper Replacement Spring

Here's the collar I cut. It's an old starrett caliper that was pretty rusted when I found it.
With a bit of fiddling the hose clamp pictured in a previous post would absolutely work. They are commonly used on hoses in car engines.
dc1037daf5b93b8aa69e7a76ea812e3e.jpg
f8c81d68fe9867dd40eba3a98bddfadf.jpg

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

GrayTech, you should turn up the pivot for those calipers if it is lost, which often happens when there are issues with the bowspring.

Or is that a pin of sorts I see already there?

Just an aside, I have a pair of smallish OD calipers that are one piece. German made IIRC. It appears they simply forged the frame to be thin where the spring goes and omitted a pivot. If they ever break, there will be no easy repair.

GrayTech, you should turn up the pivot for those calipers if it is lost, which often happens when there are issues with the bowspring.

Or is that a pin of sorts I see already there?

Just an aside, I have a pair of smallish OD calipers that are one piece. German made IIRC. It appears they simply forged the frame to be thin where the spring goes and omitted a pivot. If they ever break, there will be no easy repair.
Hi Tony, I made the pivot pin that's in there too. I'm always picking up small pieces of useful stuff, or scavenging off tossed appliances etc. I have boxes full. Larger pieces of stock other than 1018 and 6065 is what I struggle to find. It's difficult to find and very pricey when I do find some. Wish I knew where to get drops at a decent price.

The calipers work as intended and should hold up well. I don't store them with the spring under too much tension.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Back