Spring Loaded Tap Follower (with models / prints)

Ecosta777

Registered
Registered
I have made a couple of these in the past. I recently made another one for larger taps. My originals were 1/2" diameter, and the center drilled end of the follower would only go up to about a 5/16" tap since it was so small. I made the new one 5/8" a diameter body and the follower portion is 5/16", allowing for bigger taps. I've attached the prints and models, as well as the McMaster part numbers for the spring and set screw. The set screw just needs a hole drilled into it. McMaster didn't have a long enough spring, so the set screw goes down over the follower inside the body, to put pressure on the spring and still allow the follower its full range of motion.

I used A2 tool steel and hardened, but another kind of steel may be used
McMaster spring 9657K389
McMaster set screw 94105A708

Attachments

• Lg Tap Follower Body Drawing v1.pdf
    106.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Lg Tap Follower Pin Drawing v1.pdf
    102.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Lg Tap Follower Body v3.step
    12 KB · Views: 46
  • Lg Tap Follower Pin v2.step
    14.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Set Screw Mods.jpg
    Set Screw Mods.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 29
I made a similar tap follower a while back. I elected to use a 3/4" body as I use an 3/4" R8 collet with the Tormach TTS system in my mills and thus I don't have to change collets. I also have a 3/4" chuck for the tailstock on my lathe. I made the tip screw in and have both point and countersink tips.

I have made a couple of these in the past. I recently made another one for larger taps. My originals were 1/2" diameter, and the center drilled end of the follower would only go up to about a 5/16" tap since it was so small. I made the new one 5/8" a diameter body and the follower portion is 5/16", allowing for bigger taps. I've attached the prints and models, as well as the McMaster part numbers for the spring and set screw. The set screw just needs a hole drilled into it. McMaster didn't have a long enough spring, so the set screw goes down over the follower inside the body, to put pressure on the spring and still allow the follower its full range of motion.

I used A2 tool steel and hardened, but another kind of steel may be used
McMaster spring 9657K389
McMaster set screw 94105A708
Thank You for posting the drawings!

Back