Springs not bouncing back

We stamp lots of thin strip materials, no drawing jobs. We build our dies with 4 of 3/4” diameter OD 3/8” ID Green die springs 1 1/2” long with a collapsed height of 1 1/4” for the stripper plate and use ejector pins usually 4 to push the knock out to push the part out.

Took me a bit to understand the pieces here, but I think I have it figured out.

OK, I think see the problem. You need to add shoulder bolts through the springs. So they would go through the punch holder, through the springs, and be screwed into the top stripper plate.

1641174124605.png

Are you using wood dowels for leader pins? If so that would allow parts of the die assembly to move all over.

Took me a bit to understand the pieces here, but I think I have it figured out.

OK, I think see the problem. You need to add shoulder bolts through the springs. So they would go through the punch holder, through the springs, and be screwed into the top stripper plate.

View attachment 390671
I'm not understanding the bolts within the springs. How do I compress the plates together if there's something rigid there inbetween them?
Right now the top and bottom ends of the springs sit in 1/4" deep holes in the upper and lower plates.

Are you using wood dowels for leader pins? If so that would allow parts of the die assembly to move all over.
Yup, the metal rods helped keep the plates stuck together after pressing so I moved to wood. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the wood guide rods.

The shoulder bolts will allow for the spring to compress. I will have to find a diagram.CDE2AF90-E2A4-4785-AA0C-5D359607835B.jpeg

This is closer to what you would have in an industrial situation. Complex build.
Pierre0A1EBFDF-05EF-4E15-9EBB-D3692D00ABB6.jpeg

Yup, the metal rods helped keep the plates stuck together after pressing so I moved to wood. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the wood guide rods.
Odd, were you using hardened pins, or soft rods? Hardened pins would have been the way to go.

I'm not understanding the bolts within the springs. How do I compress the plates together if there's something rigid there inbetween them?
Right now the top and bottom ends of the springs sit in 1/4" deep holes in the upper and lower plates.

I drew this up real quick. Maybe it will make more sense.
1641227312967.png

1641227340107.png
1641227700186.png

1641227352980.png

Back