Springs not bouncing back

Odd, were you using hardened pins, or soft rods? Hardened pins would have been the way to go.
Just 1/2" mild steel rods. I don't think a little bit of play in my guide rod holes is affecting anything. The covers punch out nicely. My only issue is the springs not returning to original form.

Now if I could just get the punch to knock out the holes and press in the D logo, but that would take me a year to build.

Attachments

• 4BFAD873-35A4-4F1C-AE61-9160D66C550A.jpeg
    4BFAD873-35A4-4F1C-AE61-9160D66C550A.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 27
Ok, I get it. The top plate rides down the bolt. Gotcha. However, what do I need them for? I don't think my springs come out of alighment or their respective holes they reside in. They just don't come back to full shape.
Also, thanks for that drawing.

The shoulder bolts through the springs keep them from deforming as you are experiencing. Also attaches the stripper plate to the top die holder for ease of handling.

One other question.
Any ideas on how I can minimize the pinching effect on the top ends of the covers?
(arrows pointing to them in pic)

Attachments

• ABEC132E-52B7-4E66-917E-57E3BA8A6155.jpeg
    ABEC132E-52B7-4E66-917E-57E3BA8A6155.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 20
The shoulder bolts through the springs keep them from deforming as you are experiencing. Also attaches the stripper plate to the top die holder for ease of handling.
I'll add them and see what they do. I like that it makes less assembling.

There is extra space in that area and metal is moving into it. Need to either fill that space by reworking the die or more force required to really pinch it tight. Another way would be reduce the thickness of the metal in that area prior to drawing it.
Pierre

Pinching and bent springs are related. Springs are coil binding and preventing the die from closing completely.
I'm with Aukai
Coil bind I'm thinking about is too long of a spring, and coils getting compressed before the halves come together.
Need to change the springs for some with enough travel. Might need deeper seats for the springs.

Pinching and bent springs are related. Springs are coil binding and preventing the die from closing completely.
I'm with Aukai

Need to change the springs for some with enough travel. Might need deeper seats for the springs.
Yup, I can see that, or like somebody else said, same length but less coils. Very hard to find.

I said it. And part of the problem is you really should have started with a larger diameter spring- more design flexability

Perhaps a close fitting guide pin thru the id of the spring may control deflection. You'll have to bore a corresponding hole on the die plate.

Back