Square 5c collet orientation

You can get collets at least 5C in all kinds of shapes , rectangular, square , hex , and oval . With emergency collets you can mill any shape on your own. Even oversized diameter. Thank the Hardinage companies for many great products.

I have about a dozen 5C square collets, various brands, US and German made.
I never thought about the orientation of the square relative to the pin groove before. however, I just looked at them and all the pin grooves appear to be nominally perpendicular to a flat of the square. I didn't indicate any.
So, the issue goes back to accuracy required.

Please show/explain what your're trying to do so we can learn something too.

Good collet blocks can be bolted down to a plate so you could also bolt an alignment reference of your own making to a decent collet block, combine this with a round collet block and the world is your oyster.

Good collet blocks can be bolted down to a plate so you could also bolt an alignment reference of your own making to a decent collet block, combine this with a round collet block and the world is your oyster.

for this particular porpoise my collet block goes into another fixture with an alignment reference built in. it just needed the work square with the collet block and with easy repeatability as i am impatient

for this particular porpoise my collet block goes into another fixture with an alignment reference built in. it just needed the work square with the collet block and with easy repeatability as i am impatient

I'm not a fan of LOL but it does seem appropriate here, you're just asking for the answer you want :D

I'm not a fan of LOL but it does seem appropriate here, you're just asking for the answer you want :D

nope, i only wanted to verify that it would work in my situation without having to make/modify one

Just 2 cents's worth more here ... the alignment pin in a collet block will have a certain amount of clearance with respect to the groove in the collet. So it may not be suitable for precision angular alignment. In other words, even though aligned to a certain feature of the collet, it may have a degree or so of slop.

Back